steerer length question

cadenceblur

Hi Guys

I need some advice. I am in the process of buying a new

fork / shock. The steerer is 168mm long. The steerer on my current shock is 175mm.

From a bike a bike set up point of view, will this pose a problem?

Edited by cadenceblur

You will feel a difference with 7mm.

How is your current setup spaced? If all the spacers are above the stem it should be fine as your stem height will not change.

If you have spacers below the stem, it will affect your stem height, and you will feel it.

Although you might prefer the feel of it lower, so why not play with the spacers on your current setup and see how it feels?

I have recently moved some of the spacers from above my stem to the bottom and it made a difference. I used to get "hot" spots on my back/neck, not anymore since the change. The difference handle bar height is around the 5/8mm mark. So, in my case, a small change made a big difference.

You will feel a difference with 7mm.

How is your current setup spaced? If all the spacers are above the stem it should be fine as your stem height will not change.

If you have spacers below the stem, it will affect your stem height, and you will feel it.

Although you might prefer the feel of it lower, so why not play with the spacers on your current setup and see how it feels?

I currently have two spacers below the stem, the new fork will probably require the removal of one of them