Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

Hi guys. I’m gonna be coming home next month for around 3 weeks. Just wanted some info as when I left 1.5years ago some of the trails were closed. Is all the trails open for cyclists?

Also is there some sort of permit I can get for 3 weeks or do I have to pay individually at every trail. I plan on using the trails plenty in these 3 weeks?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys. I’m gonna be coming home next month for around 3 weeks. Just wanted some info as when I left 1.5years ago some of the trails were closed. Is all the trails open for cyclists?

Also is there some sort of permit I can get for 3 weeks or do I have to pay individually at every trail. I plan on using the trails plenty in these 3 weeks?

All trails are open except Kliprug. And there are loads more than 1.5 years ago. Don't think there is a short term permit though.

Okay thanks. I assume I cant use any of the corridors then to link the trails? Even the new Traverse section. 

Kinda sucks balls :(

Check the cost of an annual membership vs the cost of paying for the various permits, depending on how often you think you'll ride. 

Annual Membership costs:

Main: R670
Spouse: R440
Family: R1270
Student/Pensioner: R305
Dependent: R190
http://www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/online-orders/memberships.html

TMTBC TRAIL ACCESS & PERMITS

Please note that there are day permits available for the following trails:

• Bloemendal - Biosport is open 8am to 5pm and weekends 8am to 1pm. There is one permit available: R50 for adults, R30 for under 18's. This allows access to the Bloemendal, Nitida corridor, Hillcrest, Bloemendaaler and Majik Forest. Night Ride permits sold at Biosport on Thursday evenings for R30. 
  • Protea Hotel will now be selling the R30 and R50 permits for Bloemendal. These can be bought from the staff at the reception desk and they are open 24hours / 7 days a week.
  • Hoogekraal/Welvergenoegd/Faircape – a payment of R60 SNAPSCAN allows access to all the trails at Hoogekraal as well as Welvergenoegd and FairCape.
  • Contermanskloof – Day permits at R40 are available at The Dairy Shed (07h30– 17h00 Tues to Fri/07h00 – 13h00 Sat & Sun ) gives access to the Contermanskloof trails.
  • Meerendal – Day permits at R30 are available on the entrance road just before The Crown restaurant. Alternatively, make use of honesty box if no permit seller is on duty.

These day permits do not give access to the club negotiated corridors between Meerendal and Contermanskloof or the dirt road corridor between Contermanskloof and Hoogekraal, or the Altydgedacht corridor.

Cycling is strictly prohibited on the concrete road to the Bloemendal Restaurant, except for arranged special events. Trail running is not allowed on any of the club maintained single track (Bloemendal, Hillcrest, Bloemendaaler, Hoogekraal, Welvergenoegd and FairCape).

If you plan on riding 'loads' then annual membership is the way to go.

Average trail cost is around R50 - and you can easily do three trails in 1 day.  So, 5 days riding and you break even.  And you get to use all the links/traverses etc

Just do it!

Okay thanks. I assume I cant use any of the corridors then to link the trails? Even the new Traverse section. 

Welcome back Bub,

True, it does suck balls as you say, but such it is...

So, in short, you are not allowed to ride the following:

1. Mast climb at Contermans
  2. Meerendal - Contermans Corridor
  3. Contermans - Vissershok Corridor
  4. Traverse from Nitida to St. Johns
  5. New Bluegum section on Bloemendal

All the other trails are open, but are paid for on a per trail basis. Some more bang for your buck will be Hoogekraal. You get to ride Hoogekraal, Welvergenoegd and Fair Cape all for the price of one ride. It is a 30 - 40 km loop with some proper gnar if you care for that kind of thing. Plus, you can pay using snapscan, and if anyone stops you, you have proof of payment ready, in case no one is around selling wrist-bands.

But then, you can exchange some of those Dirham's for ZAR's. It should be enough to buy a membership and get to ride all of them if you are so inclined.

Enjoy your stay, and ride safe.

So, in short, you are not allowed to ride the following:

1. Mast climb at Contermans 
  2. Meerendal - Contermans Corridor
  3. Contermans - Vissershok Corridor
  4. Traverse from Nitida to St. Johns
  5. New Bluegum section on Bloemendal

1. Surely if he purchase a permit at Contermanskloof he can ride the mast climb from Conties side i.e. the Concrete section? Just not from Hillcrest side.

5. If you purchase a Day permit at Bloemendal you can ride everything on Bloemendal both sides of the tar road including Hillcrest. Bang for Buck here too.

So yes bang for buck if you buy just 1 permit for R60 at Hoogekraal & you can do Trail Q & Trail Z as well, thats more than enough.

Annual is gonna cost you R30.90 per day on your 3 week trip...no brainer IMO.

Anyone know if there are plans to update the trail maps? None of the hoogekraal stuff is on there-makes it complicated planning a ride

If you are going to ride more than 10 times its pretty much a no brainer to join as a member and then have use of the Corridors and have the advantage of joining the rides together.

I agree it sucks - don't think it's worth buying loads of day permits for the different farms and trying to link up tbh

Another option nearby is the Bottelary trails where you can access the whole system for one fee.

I know there are politics & individual owners bla bla bla and all that but it's a pity Tygerberg doesn't have the same system

I agree it sucks - don't think it's worth buying loads of day permits for the different farms and trying to link up tbh

Another option nearby is the Bottelary trails where you can access the whole system for one fee.

I know there are politics & individual owners bla bla bla and all that but it's a pity Tygerberg doesn't have the same system

@Tygerberg you can also access the whole system for a small price of R670  :thumbup:

Which is cheaper than almost any piece of bike related equipment I can think of. Maybe 2 pairs of socks - one and a half water bottles - 60 16gram bombs when they on special ...

It's a bargain.

@Tygerberg you can also access the whole system for a small price of R670  :thumbup:

Does anyone maybe have a map with all these new trails? I can’t seem to find any of these trail q trail z routes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone maybe have a map with all these new trails? I can’t seem to find any of these trail q trail z routes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

they are adjacent to Hoogekraal, both are very well signed posted. But I'll find a map for you shortly.