• Crest
    • Flow
    • Arch

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not just about the Rim. Its also how it is built. Get someone who knows what they doing to build them.

My MD19s came on my GT from the factory so I would assume they were correctly built, just a crappy product (the wheels, the bike's awesome). Very good advice for my upgrade though.

Would you recommend buying the components and taking them to a builder or buying a pre-built wheel?

Mmm. I'm also about 110kg with kit. Arch or Flow then? Decisions decisions.

I'm starting to understand how I managed to destroy my one Alexrims MD19 & why the other one needs so much love from the spoke wrench.

Arch are probably fine, got the Flows because because I am learning and often case jumps badly

Mine also replaced a set of Alexrims that had been rebuilt a few times too many

My MD19s came on my GT from the factory so I would assume they were correctly built, just a crappy product (the wheels, the bike's awesome). Very good advice for my upgrade though.

Would you recommend buying the components and taking them to a builder or buying a pre-built wheel?

Factory built wheels are usually not great IMHO.

They are built by machine, usually with low spoke tensions - couple of good books on the subject of wheel building - personally they changed the way I look at wheels

Edited by Daniel J Méssem

Its not just about the Rim. Its also how it is built. Get someone who knows what they doing to build them.

+1

Put a lot of love into mine, spent a few evenings getting the tension high and even

I run Flow EX on my DH bike ...

The Wife has Arch EX on her 650B Enduro Bike

For 99% of SA trails the Arch is more than strong enough for most riders - The Flows are overkill for Trail or XC

it depends on your weight and riding style I think. Weight limits are debateable because a limit of 100kg is riding normally,what happens to your weight when you jumping?

Added Race Gold and Valor's

- Going to assume these are all 29er's rims

282g = Enve Carbon Tubular

300g = Stans ZTR Valor

320g = Stans ZTR Race Gold

325g = Dt Swiss XRC 320 Carbon

334g = Rapide SC29 Scandium

340g = Dt Swiss XR 331

350g = Loaded Ultra Xlite Carbon

360g = American Classic Race

375g = Loaded Xlite Carbon

380g = Stans ZTR Crest

380g = American Classic 101

380g = Enve XC Tubeless Carbon

385g = American Classic Tubeless

405g = WTB Frequency Team i19 (19mm)

412g = Loaded Ultra Tubeless

444g = Enve AM Tubeless Carbon

448g = WTB KOM i23 (23mm)

450g = Mavic XM819

460g = Stans ZTR Arch

480g = Loaded AmXC

523g = WTB Frequency Team i23 (23mm)

540g = Spank Oozy Evo

545g = Stans ZTR Flow

Got to comment/add, the Valor is double the price of the Race Gold, making the race Gold for me a much better buy. For team riders that don't pay, guess it's another story. (oh btw the Race Gold and Valor's can only be bought as a complete wheel set with Stan's Ti 3.30 hubs).

G