Man down on spruit - 1km North of fratellis

Daniel J Méssem

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Were is/was that?

Very nice section between PnP and Peter Place.

I don't want to derail this safety thread so I have posted pictures here in stead.

But yes, it was an area between Willam Nicol and the Spruit, Peter Place and Pick n Pay. Loads of fun. Dangerous to go there now.

He's doing ok. In ICU with swelling and bleeding on the brain. Doctors think it will clear without permanent issues, but only time will tell. As to what happened, well F knows. Derrick has been riding the Spruit for 8 years and is a very sensible guy. I was a couple of bike lengths behind him and lost site of him as I entered the bombhole. When I came out the other end, just saw him go over his bars and that was that. He was unconscious when I stopped next to him.

Phoned all the numbers we could think of 082 911, 084 124 and and and, but it took an hour for a paramedic response vehicle, two ambulances and the fire brigade to all arrive at the same time cnr Conrad and Jan Smuts. By this time it was already dark and it turned into a real effort to get him out of there and we only loaded him in an ambulance at around 20:00 (3 hours later).

Just by the way, there are a lot of vagrants "camping" between the bombhole and the shool (to the left when going north). They were great and tried to help. Even gave us a blanket as our mate was getting very cold; probably in shock.

Very scary experience. Wish I had more time to share, but what I take from this:

1. Never ride the Spruit on your own. I've done it and have seen many others do it. After what I saw and realized yesterday, will never try that again. It could cost you your life.

2. Don't ride late PM. By the time we had ambulances there, it was pitch dark and as you know, the spruit is not easy to access. We scouted for a heli landing and couldn't find anything. Powerlines/river/terrain prohibits it. Took 10 men and a stretcher to get him out.

3. Do a proper first aid course. Won't do much for you, but could save someone else's life.

4. Accidents happen. I believe this was a real fluke. We were 3km from home and riding at a very reasonable pace; no cowboy tricks; nothing stupid. It just happened.

Yoh, dude. Hectic! It's one thing if your mate is broken yet conscious but if he/she is KO or worse, I imagine the urge to panic could be quite hard to suppress - especially if it's just the two of you. Also, because of "spruit marshalls" and such, I'd be hesitant to leave them alone for any time whatsoever trying to get help. I'm guessing it's best to stay with the person at all times. Glad you got him out of there ok and hope he makes a full recovery.

I'm assuming he took the left line out of the bomb hole? I don't ever hit the left side - still looks like suicide to me. My thing is making sure I'm on the anchors quick enough after the bomb hole to negotiate the rocks before the bridge as I tend to shoot out of the straight/right line with a very low, flat trajectory but enough to make braking totally ineffectual for that instant.

• 4 weeks later...

I think this was decibel... Waiting for confirmation if this was the same incident, but he's currently in hospital with concussion from a fall.

Yes, this was me. Thanks for the 6 pages of posts everyone, I appreciate the concern. Back to work today and feeling much better.

I'm still a bit surprised/embarrassed that I crashed out here so badly having ridden here a lot previously, but like chuckza mentioned, perhaps there is no getting away from fluke accidents from time to time. I was very grateful not to have been riding alone this time around.

Looking forward to being on the bike again in the next couple of months too... With a new helmet though. Any one ever considered riding XC with a full face helmet? Considering this after having taken the impact on my cheek and jaw.

Yes, this was me. Thanks for the 6 pages of posts everyone, I appreciate the concern. Back to work today and feeling much better.

I'm still a bit surprised/embarrassed that I crashed out here so badly having ridden here a lot previously, but like chuckza mentioned, perhaps there is no getting away from fluke accidents from time to time. I was very grateful not to have been riding alone this time around.

Looking forward to being on the bike again in the next couple of months too... With a new helmet though. Any one ever considered riding XC with a full face helmet? Considering this after having taken the impact on my cheek and jaw.

Great to hear that you are okay and looking forward to getting back on the bike again. Good luck!