Gene Therapy

boeing

Thats quite interesting. Maybe it isn't dead and buried then. Either way the whole aspect of the sport and sport in general is changing. I think the days of professional sport is limited. I see it going back to recreational reasons for participation.

Oh....by banning. Yes there is a reason. What extend this will be used by people and ethics!

Thanks boeing! I'll start one now! I'm a newbie to all this!

Welcome by the way and ask if help is needed.

Ethically there isn't much wrong with the gene therapy. Drugs, yes because they are harmful. It is all about progression. If the same argument was made about chemotherapy, where would we be now in the fight of cancer? Naturally, society is afraid of change and progression; it means those of us in the later generations can't benefit from such a change. It is just another step in the evolutionary chain

We had once a good debate in a genetic class with some people working in the field from USA and Europe. Chemo did have big arguments bout it, but it was a bit different. The thing with genetics is this. There is labs continously trying to incoperate genes in every way possible into ones genepool. Now, with more genes or gene function being figured out each day. Where is this going to end. Some of the labs allready is going where that they want people to "order" there child with a number of set genes. By this you will be able to get super humans if you can call it that with either very high sport ability/endurance or whatever they want the kids to be. They still trying to determine the negative effects and how to minimize them as much as possible.

Is this really ethical and where will be the limits put?

Good point WitRot.

Human Nature will always force us to push five steps past what is allowed. Obviously some will say the line is drawn at point A and other at Point B.

Imagine what choices athletes will have to make in 20 years time......... Now thats a scary thought.