Trek 1000 or Schwinn Fastback Sport?

keith

Any opinions on the mentioned two bikes? I'm buying my first bike and need some guidance! I know they both entry level but which one is the better?

The specs are actually very similar, cant find anything anywhere about there weights though. Shimano Sora front deraillerus and Tiagra back derailleurs for both. I've seen the Schwinn and it looks pretty good, haven't seen the Trek though.

and welcome not only to the hub, Keith, but to the wonderful world of cycling! You will never leave, and it will never leave you Big%20smile

The specs are actually very similar' date=' cant find anything anywhere about there weights though. Shimano Sora front deraillerus and Tiagra back derailleurs for both. I've seen the Schwinn and it looks pretty good, haven't seen the Trek though. [/quote']

if the components are very similar, try and give both of them a ride. Try and "feel" how both of them respond to your movements and how both of them feel comfortably! Personally, if all was equal I would go with the Schwinn. Personal preference and there is more heritage with that brand

I know the Trek has been around for a long time with the 1000 series, but Schwinn also seems to of had quite a few Fastback models over the years. Is this anything to go by?

Keith, it wont make a huge difference which bike you buy its the set up that will make the difference, both would be very similar, but from a shop that will fit you out properly, buy yourself a pair of clipless pedals, shoes and good shorts, jersey and helmet. at the entry level there is very little difference between the brands, advice setup and service are far more important.

Go to Cyclelab they always have an excellent setup service, they will have everything you need, range price and above all else there very helpfull

Thanks Athena! I'll give them a visit! Any advice on gear? I know shoes aren't cheap but is there anything I should look for in particular?

I have a Schwinn, and it hasn't let me down.  I would be surprised if you can pay similar prices for similar specced Schwinn and Trek, because since Lance rode his Trek, Trek's prices have been inflated.

I say go for Schwinn, but thats just my opinion.....

Yeah Pappabear Lance did immortalize the Trek, that is what has got me wondering which is the better option- as on paper the specs are very similar.

Schwinn. Where abouts are you based Keith? Nothing against the lab, but I feel that some of the local based bike stores can offer better service and as good of a bike setup. Speak to Janine at Linden cycles if that is convenient

I'm in durbs so I can drop into Cyclelab. Have been to Hattons and had a look, but they only had the Schwinn. It looked pretty good and quite a step up form the Schwinn Circuit- which wasn't great.

Getting into an argument over which bike is better is futile on cheaper end road bikes, whats important is which "feels better". I would say the trek will fell sturtier because its not a compact frame, and im a traditionalist and not overly impressed with the compacts.

As for the shoes, pick a shoe thats comfortable, there is a great range of entry level shoes, just make sure there compatible for your choice of pedal. as winter is aproaching maybe look for a shoe with cleat option that you can use in a gym or spinning studio.

I would say the trek will fell sturtier because its not a compact frame' date=' and im a traditionalist and not overly impressed with the compacts

[/quote']

I can't really see how you can say a compact frame is going to be less sturdy than a normally-sized frame. Maybe when too small and combined with an overly long seat post. I don't like compact frames as I am simply too big for them.

Having said that, I would go for the Schwinn. But then I am somewhat anti-Trek, so my opinion is biased. Wink

Thanks Sequoia. Your choice of Schwinn is based on what if you don't mind me asking? Experience or knowledge of the bike itself?