170mm vs 175mm MTB crank

Furbz

I have 2 mtb's. One came with a 170 and the other with a 175 mm crank. On open roads or drags there is no dif , but I can feel a difference when it gets to tight turn accelerations , power climbs and switchback climbs. The 170 mm crank is much easier to power from slow speed , or when you need quick power. Is it such a big difference to warrant replacing the 175 mm cranks - no ! But if I had to buy a new bike or crankset , I would rather go for 170 mm cranks if I had the option.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 years later...

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I use 170mm cranks for less rock strikes on the trail...5mm can make a difference if you have a relatively small frame and lower BB.

At 169cm, I'm a short ass...170mm works well.

100% agree with you, I'm 184cm and the 5mm difference has been noticeable since i switched about a year ago - very few rock strikes now.

My primary reason for moving was kneed joint pain, and i have 175mm cranks on my trainer bike, that end up hurting my knee, and 170mm on my trail bike that I can happily do 5 hour rides on without issue.

Just lack of 170mm cranksets at the moment or people wanting stupid prices on the hub and I would have had a new set on the trainer bike.

Archived