New member in need of your help....

lihan

Hi Guys,

Just joined your forum and is looking forward to the discussions and tips on the site.  Posting this as a hello and please help topic??

I?m currently only a road rider, cycling in the summer months and then relaxing during winter. I?m going to try and change that by taking up mountain biking during the coming winter.

I would appreciate any help and comments on the following:

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1.       What bike should I be looking at for starting out? I can always buy a better bike after a year or two if I really enjoy it.

2.        What should I avoid, which bike make model have a bad reputation out there for what so ever reason?

3.       Where can I shop for a good 2nd hand bike?

Thanks guys, looking forward to meet some of you on some of your rides.

Cheers

Lihan

lihan2008-03-13 01:40:17

Welcome lihan. You will find some great bikes on the hub and even better advice from the hubbers. Avron in Woodstock would be a place to look at or just place a wanted on the hub. Enjoy the stay and the fellow hubbers.

As far as possible try and stay away from 2nd hand mtbs....

But just buy something that fits you...

As far as i know the new mogoose dual sus is not to good... frames cracks on the top tube where it meets with the seat tube.

the GT dual sus also have a Problem with some metal thingy that keep on going....

But if you want the best buy... get a Cannondale

mtbking812008-03-13 02:01:38

Welcome.

I was in a similar position 2yrs ago.

Not sure of your budget, but I was able to get myself into the mtb scene fully kitted for about R6k. Bike, shoes, bike rack(road bike always travels inside my car!), hydration pack (look at the Salomon range at CapeStorm)

Of course if you're not cash strapped, then R10k will make life easy..

With a few minor upgrades, I've riden Karoo2Coast (100km), Hell & Back (120km 2days) and a few other races. You really don't need to throw big cash to be able to enjoy yourself on a mtb.

It is worth while to spend a bit more on comfy shoes & a decent hydration pack, they should last you for ages.

Not sure what area you live in, but if you can put up with loads of k@k, maybe join the Warthogs, they're always organising social rides in CT. http://www.warthogs.org.za/

3.       Where can I shop for a good 2nd hand bike?

Here is what I did about 6 month's ago when very new to biking. I bought a cheap Omega MTB on http://www.bikebay.co.za for about R 800.00, just to see if I liked MTB. It turned out to be hopelessly to big,  so I gave it to my wife who is just over 6 ft tall. I then found found an old Diamondback with full XT group set for +- R 700.00 at http://www.gumtree.co.za/. This bike I used to complete 2 Babba's, the Fast MTB and Vodacom Challenge 45km MTB race. At this stage I decided I was keen on MTB and went shopping for a real XC MTB bike. I was going to buy new, but finally after riding lots of bikes ended up buying a Cannondale that was advertised here on the Hub. Wink

Welcome to THE Hub.

The first question is what is your budget! (All the shops will ask you that first)

Yes. Avron is your best bet. But there is also lots on the hub and  Bike Bay

Regards

Just in my experience they will ask 'what is your budget' and then offer you bikes just above that despite your reply!

TarmacPro - Jeez mate what the hell is that in your avatar ???????????? I'm sure my eyes deceive me! Wait, goes to car to fetch glasses ......... I'll be back in a few minutes!

spitzer, you can get set up in mtb for about R6000 or so for everything you need to get into the sport.  R4000-R4 500 will get you an above entry level bike, and a decent platform off which to build. R1500 will get you all the gear you need.

spitzer' date=' you can get set up in mtb for about R6000 or so for everything you need to get into the sport.  R4000-R4 500 will get you an above entry level bike, and a decent platform off which to build. R1500 will get you all the gear you need.[/quote']

sorry, lihan, am so embarassed. have just been editing a story on the disgraced ny state governor and his R36000 nookie! haha. many apologies and welcome to the hub. 

Hey guys, thanks so much for all the replies. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Budget is around 3 - 4k so hopefully i can find something to see if i really like it and then i can always upgrade.

Have been looking at gumtree but buying from there you will never know what you will get especially with my knowledge of mountain bikes.

O yes the avatar, ??? i have no idea myself was one of the silly option on the drop down box when registering Wink

Hey lihan - no your avatar is cool it's Tarmacpro's I have some problem with LOL

TarmacPro's avatar needs to be taken outside and burnt.LOL