Pilates

IceCreamMan

Took a session of this on Saturday, damn its more difficult than it looks but my body felt like it had a good work out.... so will continue, with the view of being quicker on the bike and in the bike leg of triathlons... worth coninuting with? anyone else seen benefits from pilates? thanks

I've tried it a few times and it gives a great workout. I would suggest to anyone with a pinches nerve in the lower back - take it easy and don't force the stretching. I thought I was superman and could barely walk for a week.

How are you doing with your pilates? How many more sessions have you done? I am thinking of doing another session to try and get this body a little more supple so I don't suffer after riding

How are you doing with your pilates? How many more sessions have you done? I am thinking of doing another session to try and get this body a little more supple so I don't suffer after riding

Just started, only 2 sessions thus far but will be doing 2 a week for the forseeable future...I need to get more mobility into this body and pilates is the way to do it I reckon. My reasoning is the same as yours, a lil more supple and a little more strength in my core to support my body better on the bike to relieve wight off the hoods ..... also a allow for a better transition from bike to run....am excited about pilates to be honest

Being doing it for a while and the benefits are great. The most important thing on Pilates is to do it correctly in order to get the real benefits - so make sure your instructor know what they do. I am now with my 3rd instructor and the difference are great

• 4 weeks later...

I have been doing it twice a week for 2 years. I go to two different instructors because each instructor has a different style & focus.

One makes me sore & the other teaches basic principles which are so easy to miss during a class - those are what really count in order to get to the core.

I love every single class. Even after two years I get sore!

I found what it changed most for me was my breathing for running, its something I always struggled with until I started classes.

• 3 weeks later...

I have only attended 5 to 10 sessions over the last year. It depends on the trainer how intense it is. It is not a sweat session like a spin class, but especially your leg and stomach muscles get a good workout. It does help to make you more flexible, which is good for whatever other exercise you do like running, cycling or swimming. A once a week or every second week session should be beneficial for mountain bikers over 45.☺

If you are based in the Westrand you can contact Marilu Gow on 0727709346. She's a great instructor - been with her for last three months

Archived