2014 UCI Road World Championships Ponferrada

jcza

????????

Alex Howes (USA) is at the back of the peloton. For some he is an outsider for a medal today. Also in the USA team are Andrew Talansky and Tejay van Garderen.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decent and vocal crowds have turned out for the race today. The four leaders are still climbing at the moment with 132km to go. It will be interesting to see how much the gap has dropped with Poland still on the front of the race.

????????????????

As we see Mathew Hayman near the back of the field and collecting food for his teammates. The Australians will be rubbing their hands with glee as they've seen Poland do all the chasing in these early stages.

Hayman is policing Gerrans back to the front of the race, as the gap to the four leads drops to 11:40.

????????????????????

Poland still have the race strung out and there are a number of small gaps starting to appear on the climb.

Alessandro De Marchi and Phil Deignan are both at the back of the peloton having dropped back to the team cars earlier. Up ahead Dan Martin is well positioned near the front of the race.

Just behind the Polish line there are a few discussions going on and soon after the Germans post a man in the chase.

The roads continue to dry out as well as the peloton coast passed the castle one more time. There's an increase in pace from the Polish team once more but they're going to need help soon if the gap is going to come down faster. The Australians, French and Germans have the firepower and the sprinters to make a difference.

Zydrunas Savickas (Lithuania), Matija Kvasina (Croatia), Carlos Quintero (Colombia) and Oleksandr Polivoda (Ukraine) continue to plough on and they're making a decent fist of it with the gap to the peloton still at over ten minutes. At the back of the peloton US national road champion Eric Marcotte has picked up his feed bag.

Matthews, a real favourite for today, is at the back of the pack with a mechanical, according to race radio. He shouldn't have too much trouble in making back to the head of the race.

????

The sun has shone for the last couple of hours, and the rain jackets have been dispensed with. The gap to the four leaders continues to come down slowly and is at 9:30

Archived