Rim upgrade

g4mb1t

So I got dared into doing the Argus, entered and a month later decided I had better start training. So i bought my self a Silverback Sola 4 (Entry level hard tail).

And did the Argus in 5:45. And loved it.

My dilemma is that i was given a entry to this years whine2whales ride. And i am not sure that my bike will handle it. (Or i for that matter, but i have to try at least)

My 2 big concerns being rims and front shock.

The rims being Alex MD21 (I have to true them at least once a month)(My weight is 95kg's)

The fork is a Suntour XCR.

I was thinking that i could upgrade the rims to say ZTR Arch Ex's, The bike has Shimano Hubs.

Advise please

Edited by g4mb1t

I'd recommend doing fork and wheels together, because you could upgrade to 15mm through-axle which would improve front end stiffness quite a bit. It won't be cheap though.

Building Arch EX onto entry level Shimano hubs isn't worth the effort, and you can't run through axle on the front anyway. They're nice rims though, look at pairing them with either Hope, Bitex or Novatec hubs depending on budget.

Since you're in the West, speak to William at William's Bike Shop. He knows his way around wheel building.

I'd recommend doing fork and wheels together, because you could upgrade to 15mm through-axle which would improve front end stiffness quite a bit. It won't be cheap though.

Building Arch EX onto entry level Shimano hubs isn't worth the effort, and you can't run through axle on the front anyway. They're nice rims though, look at pairing them with either Hope, Bitex or Novatec hubs depending on budget.

Since you're in the West, speak to William at William's Bike Shop. He knows his way around wheel building.

+1 For William. I just did the K2C on a ZTR Flow ex with Hope hubs that he build for me with no problems. (heavier than you, thus the flow. Arch should suit you just fine)

Where can one find Novatec hubs in West Rand Cowteng? Are they a better hub than a Shimano SLX (in performance and ease of servicing)?

Where can one find Novatec hubs in West Rand Cowteng? Are they a better hub than a Shimano SLX (in performance and ease of servicing)?

You can get them online from Evobikes or from Cape Cycles (via your LBS).  My opinion, cup and cone hubs should not be used on MTB's so I would go for Novatec with sealed bearings before Shimano. 

Cup and cone bearings will perform better in a wheel but the negatives offset this for MTB.  Road a different story.  A well maintained Campy or Dura Ace hub will purr!

Any LBS can get them for you, they're distributed by Cape Cycle Systems. SLX will be more durable if you look after them though. - regular repacking and proper adjustment and you'll be riding them for many years.

Of the two, Novatec and SLX, which one has the better (and easily available) freehub unit? I have gone through several Shimano ones at R200+ a time. Do the Novatec front hubs have the ability to go from 15m TA to 9m QR? I don't believe the Shimano ones can but you can have a part machined that will sort that out?

Edited by Mojoman

SLX are available in 2 variants, one is 9mm and the other is 15mm. (Actually I think you can get a 20mm one too.) The Novatec ones have interchangeable end caps if you get the right one - you'll just need to do a bit of homework.