Is an aero bike worth it over a regular light weight frame

Brickleberry

Thanks for the advise. The more I have looked at the giant tcr advanced the more I think it's the way to go. But purely cos I can't afford a swift. I think aero would be wasted on me. The tcr with some **** hot wheels seems the way forward

Thanks for the advise. The more I have looked at the giant tcr advanced the more I think it's the way to go. But purely cos I can't afford a swift. I think aero would be wasted on me. The tcr with some **** hot wheels seems the way forward

Swift are going to have massive sale quite soon. Contact them to find out more details.

If you are going to be spending most of your time doing group rides and races like Argus  / 94.7 your time in the front of the bunch is probably going to be pretty minimal, which makes the aero bike somewhat redundant. Better aero advantage to looking at your body position (ride more in the drops). If you are planning on taking on a few tri's or tt's then look aero, otherwise stick with conventional 

An interesting take here on CyclingNews: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-garmin-sharp-cervelo-r5-voted-best-team-bike-in-cyclingnews-reader-poll

The bits you might be interested in:

Cervélo would be more apt to tout the performance benefits of its aero-minded S5 and S3 since with all else being equal, either model is measurably faster than the lighter-and-stiffer R-series counterparts. As Garmin-Sharp sports scientist Robby Ketchell explains it, however, team riders choose particular bikes based on "performance during a particular moment".

For Dan Martin, that moment came on the final climb into Bergamo at the Giro di Lombardia where he launched a decisive attack in the final kilometer after being mostly sheltered from the wind by his teammates. In that situation, the more classic performance metrics of weight and stiffness won the day – and the race.

That being said - the S5 is a very handsome looking bike...

Hi

I hear the arguments from many on the speeds that needed to justify the purchase of a aero bike I'm ur very average weekend warrior and I had a typical road bike in a Tarmac pro which was great till I got a cervelo s2 wow I felt I was flying on the cervelo which I had for a year and 2 years ago I bought the Scott foil 10 which I currently ride, the stiffness which translates to power transfer to wheels crank etc is amazing, yes it is slightly firmer than the Tarmac or other rd bikes but I call it the 'whee' factor is second to none, you have more control confidence due to the stiffness. I don't have a problem riding my Foil for 5 hours or at times longer no more of an issue than a traditional bike.

Look at the end of the day up u must lve the look of your bike, do your research of reviews on all options and then decide. Personally I love my aero bike and if I was to replace would look at another again

Archived