Is an aero bike worth it over a regular light weight frame

Brickleberry

Looking for pros and cons of aero frames compared to lightweight frames. And if an aero bike would be worth buying for ,cradle , 94.7, Argus type rides and general JHB training. I'm no climber that's for sure and love quick downhills. Please some advise, I'm looking around 26k , giant propel 105, silverback scalera 3 kind of range. Or would a giant tcr similar be better. If I missed this kind of thread already, I apologize .

3 forces matter in cycling - gravity, rolling resistance and air resistance.

The rider is the biggest obstacle when it comes to air resistance.

Answer is no it won't make a difference but buying that aero frame will give you that warm feeling and much like a placebo will make you faster.

Go with your heart 

Interesting question for which I do not know the answer...

But I love the look of the Silverback

Aero frames imo are a waste of time (due to extra weight to achieve aero shapes) if you going to do road rides and races (in groups) and ride slower than +/- 30kmh most of the time.

If you a triathlete / Time trailer type and can ride faster than 30kmh (the faster the better the benefit) then its probably worth going aero

I wish the various frame manufacturers would start making more small diameter tubed composite frames like the good old steel tubed frames used to be...

1 factor that hasn't been mentioned is frame stiffness. 

The stiffer the frame the better. 

There is a youtube video from Giant where they compair the different road bikes on weight and stiffness. Don't fall too much on the marketing side of it but it does give you an perspective of things. 

Another factor to consider is comfort. 

If you not comfortable it just doesn't matter. 

If you're gonna be a proper racing snake, why not both??

I'll explain:

Get the lightest bike you can afford. That'll wake care of the hills, as long, of course, as you are as light as you can be too (otherwise the hills don't matter until you are light enough yourself).

Then, get some deep section wheels, 50mm probably the most beneficial at our amateur level, and an aero road helmet, like te new giro or spez aero (NOT TT) helmets. The helmets have as much benefit as the wheels, which combined will probably be more benefit than the frame anyway.

Te lighter frame will likely be more comfortable too, and possibly more bike for your money.

But get what tickles you the most!! Good luck man!

That's my worry as well. Comfort. But a lot of reviews on the giant propel say it is as good as the tcr in terms of comfort. And very stiff. I do want a stiff frame. And that giant propel has greats write ups. And looks great.

Real question is do I lose anything by going with an aero frame?

With te stiffness you'll lose comfort. But ask yourself whether the small tiny gain in stiffness is worth it at your level of performance vs the comfort factor? Go with aero if that's what your head and heart is loving. That's the right bike - te one you hanker after. Te other details mean nothing anyway:)

well, here's an answer in a video... 

but it's not merely about the numbers... i think the 'buy the bike you like best' still rings true

Well I ride a Cervelo S5.

Pros: slight increase in average speed just under 2kph over my old alu Trek but thats at 44kph. Super stiff and responsive loves high speed sweeping bends.

Cons: heavier, crosswinds, limited tyre size (volume), harsh ride, complicated and odd components and placing.

Oh and the endless questions "is that not a time trial frame"[emoji35]

Stiffness is a bitch when it comes to comparing it to comfort. Its really *** doing a 4 hour ride and your not comfortable doing it. Then you hit a cateye and it feels like your teeth just got knocked out! I've gone from a tcr advanced to a fondriest tf 2 and DAMN!!!

The giant climbed easier was quick on the flats and it was comfortable while doing so. The fondriest is stiff due to very thick tubing and chunky BB its also got an aero fork and she goes like a bat out of hell but it does not climb as easy as the giant and it really is uncomfortable..

just my 2c

Looking for pros and cons of aero frames compared to lightweight frames. And if an aero bike would be worth buying for ,cradle , 94.7, Argus type rides and general JHB training. I'm no climber that's for sure and love quick downhills. Please some advise, I'm looking around 26k , giant propel 105, silverback scalera 3 kind of range. Or would a giant tcr similar be better. If I missed this kind of thread already, I apologize .

can you ride constantly at 40km/hr? if not then an aero frame won't give you any advantage, especially in a bunch. Buy the bike that fits you best, is comfortable and therefore you will enjoy riding it.

The Giant Propel is an awesome bike btw. Can't go wrong with it......IF IT FITS

I like the Propel, but not the v-brakes it comes with. Do yourself a favour and Google a few reviews on the Propel's brakes. Some may differ, so flame suit on...lol

1. Looking for pros and cons of aero frames compared to lightweight frames. And if an aero bike would be worth buying for ,cradle , 94.7, Argus type rides and general JHB training. I'm no climber that's for sure and love quick downhills. Please some advise, I'm looking around 26k , giant propel 105, silverback scalera 3 kind of range. Or would a giant tcr similar be better. If I missed this kind of thread already, I apologize .
  1. Most of these races & terrains that you've described has quite a lots of climbs involved;
  2. One needs to get to the top of the climb first before you can go down.

IMO, rather spend some money on lighter wheelsets (which will make climbing uphill a bit easier) than blowing money on aero bike.

Archived