Paul Cluver Trail Maps

TreeDodger

UPDATE:

Here are the KML and GPX files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7py1v9wpimbinak/AAC9jc7-Zn3XR0jLdsLnsNhOa?dl=0

On android I have opened the files in the dropbox app and this then opened google earth. I managed to import the GPX files into garmin connect by selecting "Activities", then "Import". After the GPX file is uploaded click on the gear icon and then "Save as Course" where you can create a course to send to your device.

Here is another guide for android and iphone: http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/guide-using-gps-on-android-iphone/

Here are googleearth files (KML) of the red and black routes at Paul Cluver. The KML files are very accurate and can be used for GPS navigation. I had to zip the files as kml files are not allowed. Let me know if you have trouble and I can send them to you. I converted the KML files to TCX and GPX using http://www.gpsies.com and GPSBabel and tried uploading to garmin connect to make a route, but with not much success. When I get this right I will upload these files.

There are higher resolution zipped google earth and route maps. The line drawing route map contains all the options, turnoffs and routes. This is the best one to print out for reference when on the trails. 

Paul Cluver Wine Estate: http://goo.gl/maps/LVfCq

Once on the farm follow the signs to the amphitheatre, the start of the trails is on the far side of the amphitheatre. Remember to get the amphitheatre gate combination from the guard at the entrance to the farm when paying.

There is a bike park with some obstacles in the amphitheatre and blue and green routes. The green route is about 3 kms perfect for small kids, the blue route is short, but does contain technical singletrack.

Paul_Cluver_color_map_final_Jan_2015.zip

Google Earth Map.zip

post-3813-0-71740300-1420789539_thumb.jpg

post-3813-0-00742600-1420789593_thumb.gif

post-3813-0-45416800-1420789658_thumb.jpg

post-3813-0-77581500-1420789658_thumb.jpg

Edited by TreeDodger

I rode there yesterday for the first time. Excellent trail, very nice berms and intense singletrack in the valleys. I enjoyed the bridges. I dont have a nav gps, I just followed the route marking. These could be improved, I lost the trail in 4 places.

Edited by Christie

I rode ther yesterday for the first time. Excellent trail, very nice berms and intense singletrack in the valleys. I enjoyed the bridges. I dont have a nav gps, I just followed the route marking. These could be imprived, I lost the trail in 4 places.

Awesome, thanks for the info, headed out there tomorrow or Tuesday.. [emoji4]

Ride the black route. The red cuts out some of the nice singletrack. If you dont want to do the extra distance, cut out the loop in the top of the pic (kili 1 & 2) with the red shortcut there.

Thanks again for the maps, can think of 4 unmarked intersections where I would've turned wrong if I didn't have the map to consult.

Awesome place to ride. And some really nice single track..

Liked some of the signs, like before the big wooden berm and bridge, "relax and concentrate", lol, but true...

Put together a little video (my editing skills are not anything to write home about) of all the bridges, just for the fun of it..

Only realized after the fact that I did not tighten my chest harness enough, so some of the footage is a bit bumpy!

Do you guys know if they are open tomorrow?

Most likely... From their website:

Weekends and holidays: Pay & get bike permits at the Paul Cluver Wine Tasting, which is open from 06h00 - 17h00 during OCT - MARCH; AND 07h00 - 16h00 during APRIL - SEPT

Weekdays: Pay & get bike permits at Paul Cluver Wine Tasting, which is open from 07h30 - 17h00 during OCT - MARCH; AND 08h00 - 16h00 during APRIL - SEPT

Oh, what device did you use to map the route? Garmin or smartphone?

It's from a garmin 910xt. I did extensive editing but the route should be very accurate.

It's from a garmin 910xt. I did extensive editing but the route should be very accurate.

Cool, was hoping not a smartphone, I was testing a few smartphone apps to see which is more accurate, so being able to compare to your non smartphone route is handy. Helps narrow down the better app. Thanks.

Cool, was hoping not a smartphone, I was testing a few smartphone apps to see which is more accurate, so being able to compare to your non smartphone route is handy. Helps narrow down the better app. Thanks.

Would you be able to post your findings about accuracy? Also trying to figure out which apps are best

Thanks again for the maps, can think of 4 unmarked intersections where I would've turned wrong if I didn't have the map to consult.

Awesome place to ride. And some really nice single track..

Liked some of the signs, like before the big wooden berm and bridge, "relax and concentrate", lol, but true...

We'll improve the route markings, also need to write a bit of an essay where the Thandi loop splits. The idea is one does the Thandi loop, get back to the same point and then continue on back to the finish, but that is not obvious when one is tired!

Would you be able to post your findings about accuracy? Also trying to figure out which apps are best

Sure, check this thread for the story so far.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?/topic/137271-Inaccurate-Strava-elevation

At this stage I have only tested three apps, Endomondo, Strava and Runtastic Mountain Bike.

In terms of elevation gain (main stat I want to test) long story short, all apps seem the interpret the data provided by the phone's GPS (I'm using iphone) differently, it seems that the Runtastic app does this best and most accurately, only off by about 0-5% more or less. Endomondo under reads by about 15-20% and Strava is just useless and over reads by 100-150%!!

Bare in mind though that I have only done four test rides, two on and two off road, and the apps run simultaneously on the phone/ride. So more testing should be done to be more certain.

I wish Runtastic had segments so as to check my progression, it's the only thing it is missing and then I wouldn't bother with Strava.