Spin bike recommendations (noob looking for general fitness)

igg

So as the topic says, I'm looking for recommendations for a spin bike for general fitness. My purpose is not for power/cycling training, etc., but to improve my cardiovascular and general fitness. As it stands, I waste time watching TV and my schedule is not conducive to cycling before/after work (I also don't have a road bike), so I figured I'd try to actually be productive instead of idling on the couch. I get dead bored at gym and can barely tolerate a 20 minute session.

My budget is potentially up to R10k but I'd prefer to really not spend more than R5k. I'm also completely comfortable and would probably be looking to buy used.

As for requirements, I'm 1.9m so something fully adjustable, and I'm looking to be able to use cleats.

If you are bored at the gym, you will die on a spin bike.

Seriously rather spend the time and money cycling a real bicycle. For 10k, you can get a lekker MTB that can be used everywhere.

Saying you do not have time to cycle, yet you have time to spin doesnt make sense. Use the TV time to get outside and ride! Oh, and shave your legs!

Guest Omega Man

Just a thought. 

Get a cheap fixi/SS bike and a wind trainer. Together they should come in at 5k. Cheaper even. The fixi can be a spin bike but a spin bike can never be a real bike.

I bought a SS for R3300 and a 2nd hand wind trainer for 1k.

Just a thought. 

Get a cheap fixi/SS bike and a wind trainer. Together they should come in at 5k. Cheaper even. The fixi can be a spin bike but a spin bike can never be a real bike.

I bought a SS for R3300 and a 2nd hand wind trainer for 1k.

I actually have a cheapy MTB so it's a consideration, but I hadn't considered a fixi/SS bike. On that note, are there any SS you would recommend?

If you are bored at the gym, you will die on a spin bike.

Seriously rather spend the time and money cycling a real bicycle. For 10k, you can get a lekker MTB that can be used everywhere.

Saying you do not have time to cycle, yet you have time to spin doesnt make sense. Use the TV time to get outside and ride! Oh, and shave your legs!

I'm only bored at gym, because the gym is hellishly boring. I'm not bored at all when I have a book and my music, but this isn't practical on a spinner at the gym.

I have time in the evenings. I assume you're advocating I go cycle in peak hour traffic (I live in Fourways where it only dies down around 7) or in the dark?

There is a saying that really like: If you really want to do something you will find a way, if you dont, you will find an excuse.

I bought a cheap second hand spinning bike.  First I changed the "fixie" cog for a bmx freewheel  (much kinder on the knees) and then rebuilt it with a new bb, chain and bearings.  Used it four times in midwinter before I decided that the Cradle  at -1 deg in the pitch dark was preferable!

Archived