Midstream->Irene->Midstream loop. Safe or not?

edgarblount

Hi All,

I ride the following loop in the mornings between 05:45 and 06:45. The loop takes you out from Midstream past Highveld and Southdowns through Irene and back to Midstream using the new Midstream Drive at the back.

Do you guys know of any safety issues on this route especially in the Pinedene train station area? There are a lot of commuters getting off at Pinedene and then either walking up to Midstream or into Irene. 

I have read about the Cornwall Hill incidents hence me wondering about the safety in that area.

The M18 and Nelmapius stretches are in my opinion rather sketchy. M18 for traffic and safety, and the Nelmapius stretch more because of traffic.

The problem with Midstream is that we don't really have a "safe" route out/in to the area.

While saying that, I suppose there are very few roads in SA that can really be regarded as safe...

So I suppose the only advice I can give is to make yourself as visible as possible (rear light, front light, bright clothing), be very aware of your surroundings and be suspicious of anything that moves.

Looks like we are just about neighbours.

The section on Glen Road up to the BP garage is rather dodgy. Mostly from a traffic perspective though - in the morning you have all the speedsters & afternoon all the trucks (and the balance of the speedsters). Bridge crossing makes my dangly bits shrivel up. The sections next to the road is relatively open so you can spot an ambush from a mile away. The commuters at the station are mostly employed and pose no real threat (bar a potential obstacle when flying down the new road). So long as you do not veer of Glen road past the shooting range or in the vacant plots/fields next to/near Cornwall & Smuts Huis you should be safe. Ditto for the open fields at Heritage Hill/Parmalat/Candlewoods. 

Rather get a season pass for BRB (R800/yr). Refer comment about bridge crossing above.

EDIT: Only saw your comment on riding times now. Not too sure about the BRB weekday operating times

Edited by HowellingWulf

The section on Glen Road up to the BP garage is rather dodgy. Mostly from a traffic perspective though - in the morning you have all the speedsters & afternoon all the trucks (and the balance of the speedsters). Bridge crossing makes my dangly bits shrivel up. The sections next to the road is relatively open so you can spot an ambush from a mile away. The commuters at the station are mostly employed and pose no real threat (bar a potential obstacle when flying down the new road). So long as you do not veer of Glen road past the shooting range or in the vacant plots/fields next to/near Cornwall & Smuts Huis you should be safe. Ditto for the open fields at Heritage Hill/Parmalat/Candlewoods. 

Rather get a season pass for BRB (R800/yr). Refer comment about bridge crossing above.

EDIT: Only saw your comment on riding times now. Not too sure about the BRB weekday operating times

On the subject of BRB. Any idea on how to cross the river now that the wooden bridge got swept away? Tried finding another crossing on Saturday but had to take the road instead. Not so lekka I say.

Awesome news on the yearly season pass. Was waiting for this.

• 4 weeks later...

On the subject of BRB. Any idea on how to cross the river now that the wooden bridge got swept away? Tried finding another crossing on Saturday but had to take the road instead. Not so lekka I say.

Awesome news on the yearly season pass. Was waiting for this.

Nope. There is nothing. Was hoping the USN guys would rebuild it for the races there. Only way to get there is to roll the dice and cross the bridge. 

• 1 year later...

I see this topic has been inactive for a while and wanted to get your take again on the area. I recently moved to midstream and trying to find a decent safe ride thats not on or along the "road". Any ideas?