Second Hand Bike MTB availibilty

Wow! You guys are quick at giving people flack!

Think you are misinterpreting what the OP was trying to say:

- The fact that he can't get 2nd hand bikes is working on his nerves (not directed at anyone)

- He doesn't want to pay 8k for a new bike, and would rather pay for a better 2nd hand bike.

This.

It was badly worded but I don't think it was a pop at anybody.

I was not being hostile... I said jeeeze working on my nerves reffering to the availibility. I did however state that any input would be much appreciated and it was so i didnt throw anything on hes face.

I was not being hostile... I said jeeeze working on my nerves reffering to the availibility. I did however state that any input would be much appreciated and it was so i didnt throw anything on hes face.

That happens when people drop nouns from sentences. A simple "it is" can easily be mistook for "you are" when omitted.

Apologies if I offended you. I just see so many new members on forums that act hostile towards established members.

I want to maybe buy a silverback syncra 1 from 2013 please somone tell me what the think of this lovely looking carbon hard tail. Is it good enough? Or is it to hard in the tail? Any feed back on this bike would be very much appreciated thanks have a good day.

post-73210-0-82889700-1425720886_thumb.jpg

Hi people can anyone help with a bike evaluation? I have a specialized ,xc ,fsr ,s works, 27" , full suspension ,2012/2013 model, hydraulic brakes n shocks lockacble. Bike has onli done 60km ,no scratches . How much is the bike worth?

Hi people can anyone help with a bike evaluation? I have a specialized ,xc ,fsr ,s works, 27" , full suspension ,2012/2013 model, hydraulic brakes n shocks lockacble. Bike has onli done 60km ,no scratches . How much is the bike worth?

May i ask why you would like a 27 inch?

Im pretty new with the cycling thing...I actually haven't even started, however i have really been wanting to get into it but it has come to my attention that there are barely any 2nd hand 29er Large bikes for sale in the eastern cape..Is there a particular reason for this? are there particular seasons of activityhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png in mountain biking? is it because the cape epic is on soon or what? your input would be much appreciated.

How tall are you?

Have you been measured for a 29er?

If I was a newbie again, I think I would have done the exact same thing all over. It helped me to decide what I would like as an end result. It is hard to get the right bike for your riding style and type of riding straight off the bat.

I started with a 1500 bucks GT avalanche 3, then moved on to a GT avalanche 1.0 for 3000 bucks, after that thought I needed something more trail orientated than cross country so I went trek fuel ex5 for 6k. After that I decided I needed something more burly for all mountain rides and not trail or XC, so now I'm on a Commencal meta AM3, will not disclose value.

However, the only bike I bought new was my current bike, I needed to go through some second hand bikes to find and figure out what I really needed.

Hope that sheds some light a bit.

Later

Best would be to join your local bike club's Facebook page, and ask there. Otherwise be patient. The bike you want will come along

Yes i have.. Im 183 cm and i weigh 108 kgs

A thing to remember is 29ers are the current trend and folks are not giving up their bikes as quickly as they used to say 10 years ago, it's a proven fact that cycling is much more expensive today in comparison. It then follows that finding a good 2nd hand bike in your size will be relatively difficult.

I come from the trade and have seen the changes I described happen first hand.

My advice to you as a beginner:

1. At 183cm it's possible to ride either a M or a L. It will depend on your upper body length in proportion to your legs. This ratio has direct correlation to the top tube length of the bike and can mean the difference between easy confident riding and serious discomfort. Also remember it easier to "stretch" a smaller bike than to "shrink" a bigger one.

2. Rather buy the new bike. 1 year manufacturer warranty on parts, 5 years on the frame to the original purchaser. Most shops will do a first tune up for free. All the parts are new and do not have unknown amounts of wear and tear on them. That said I have serviced 2nd hand bikes for 2nd owners and counting what they spent on the purchase was more than a new bike. Also many experienced riders change certain parts to suit their bodies and riding style, these changes may not suit you.

Besides R8k for a new bike can buy a reasonable machine brand new. Don't be sold by the Shimano parts only.

Yes i have.. Im 183 cm and i weigh 108 kgs

I am 183 and ride a x/l, all I needed was a slightly shorter stem. Might give you some more options.

I ride an XL 26" with a 90mm stem and a 700mm handle bar. Height 1.9m and 112kg.

Personally and from experience if a client is under 185cm I fit them to a large 26" frame without hesitation and for 29er I might even look at a medium depending on physique and riding style, etc.

29" frames are longer than a 26", the old rules no longer apply when it comes to frame sizes. My rule of thumb works better here: 15cm to 20cm of seat tube must protrude from the frame. Less frame is too big and more than 20cm it's too small.

Archived