Beginner Bike - TITAN 29R TRAIL

Dru

Thanks 2 X 2. At this stage I'm starting to lean towards the Titan, the more research I do. Was also comparing the components, and for instance the Titan uses Acera Groupset vs the Sola4 (2014) that uses Altus (Read somewhere that Acera is better than Altus on entry level):

The Sola4 (20150 However uses Alivio which is obviously better then the above, but more exp bike.

http://bdcyclists.com/qa/124/want-know-about-hierarchy-shimano-groupset-best-worst-list

Will definitely shop around, as I have already seen Kyalami Cycles has it for 7.1k

Edited by Dru

I see the Silverback is 8 speed and the Momsen 9 speed.  Might be costly to upgrade to 9 speed later. I think the Titan might be a better buy.  Shop around at other shops, maybe you could get the Titan for a little less than R7.5.  Phone Solomons for quotes on Titan and Momsen.

Thanks for the heads up. Phoned them and saw they're running a couple of good specials.

Gonna go through later to have a look. Not sure what your thoughts are on the AXIS range of bikes, as I see they're running a special on it:

AXIS A30 (2013)

http://www.solomonsonline.co.za/images/categories/AXIS-A30.jpg

R8999.95  R6999.95

Save: 22% off

Shimano SLX/Deore - 30 speed components

Rock Shock XC32 - with remote lockout 100mm travel

Shimano M522 crank set 42/32/24T

Avid Elixir 1 Disk brakes

Shimano HG81 cassette 11/36T (10spd)

Quick Update: So finally went with the Titan 29R Trail. Solomon's Cycles made me a really good offer on the bike, just had to take it! Can't wait to hit the trails this weekend to take this baby for a spin! Thanks for the input guys!

Quick Update: So finally went with the Titan 29R Trail. Solomon's Cycles made me a really good offer on the bike, just had to take it! Can't wait to hit the trails this weekend to take this baby for a spin! Thanks for the input guys!

Yes those guys like to negotiate.

From which Solomons did you buy?

Yes those guys like to negotiate.

From which Solomons did you buy?

Woodmead. Also, a clued up bunch of guys there.

Congrats and happy riding ... Where's the couch pic?

Congrats and happy riding ... Where's the couch pic?

Coming right up! hahahaha, keep finding excuses to go to my car jus so I can sneak a peak. hehehe

Coming right up! hahahaha, keep finding excuses to go to my car jus so I can sneak a peak. hehehe

What's this looking at it business? You should be riding it. My. First bike I was going around the parking lot in the complex :)

So where's your first ride?

Freedom ride on Sunday - :)

What's this looking at it business? You should be riding it. My. First bike I was going around the parking lot in the complex :)

So where's your first ride?

Freedom ride on Sunday - :)

Hahaha, riding around the complex till late at night - Check! Just left out the office complex part, would have been funny to see someone in a suit cruising around the complex. Hahaha.

Was actually thinking of trying out Avianto on Saturday.  :clap:

Hope you happy with the Titan. :)

So far so good! Just back to the shop today for some minor adjustments, and should be good to go. But so far, I'm happy!

• 5 years later...