good beginner mtb for roadie?

4ph3X

i have a road bike (for 3 yrs now) and is looking into doing some mtb'ing. went a couple of times on a borrowed bike and enjoyed it alot!

i am looking to buy the merida matts tfs 500d (specs listed below). just wanted to get expert opinion on the bike as well as other suggestions. i am looking to spend about R6k.

thanks guys.

Rock Shox Dart 2 80 Lockout FORK
Shimano Deore 34.9 T-Swing DERAILLEURS-F/R
Shimano Deore rapidfire SHIFTERS-F/R
attached BRAKE LEVERS
Shimano M485 180 Hydraulic BRAKES-F/R
Shimano M442 octa 44A-32-22 CHAINWHEEL
Shimano CN-HG53 CHAIN
Shimano M495 centerlock HUBS-F/R
Alex DP17 Disc Black RIMS
Shimano CS-HG50-9 11-32 FREEWHEEL
MERIDA RACE 2.1 TIRE-F/R
XM Comp CEN 31.8 Flat 600 HANDLEBAR
XM Comp OS CEN 7 H-B STEM
M10 Neck HEADSET
TFS mat SADDLE
XM Speed SB20 31.6 SEAT POST
Shimano M505 PEDALS
4ph3X2008-03-29 14:51:17

Great bike. In the sam price range also look at Felt Q720 and especially the Silverback Nabraska. Nabraska and TFS500 have similiar build, but the Silverback has a much better fork. All Silverback frames have a lifetime warranty.

I won't go cheaper than that if you know you like mtb'ing and planning to do it often enough. Pop in to Cycle Factory Store, they have all three of those in stock. 

I think the Merida is the best bike to buy. I see a lot of them around, never seen a single Nabraska. That must say something.

Nabraska has better components for the price. I have just gone through all this and settled on the Sierra (bigger brother of the Nabraska), although all the parts are on a Nabraska frame beacause there are no XL Sierra frames available in Durban at the moment. First ride on it (and first ever on a mtb!) today - very good buy and completely happy - my new urban assault vehicle!! Highly recommend the Silverback (a local company too), and this after not liking it when I test rode it a while ago.

Cheers!

thanks for the input! i am quite impressed by the components on the nebraska. but i still think the merida is "cooler" ;)

agreed 4 ph merida is cooler - but you need to ride them

I am trying to find a 2007 Nebraska - as it looks cool to !

Great bike. In the sam price range also look at Felt Q720 and especially the Silverback Nabraska. Nabraska and TFS500 have similiar build' date=' but the Silverback has a much better fork. All Silverback frames have a lifetime warranty.

I won't go cheaper than that if you know you like mtb'ing and planning to do it often enough. Pop in to Cycle Factory Store, they have all three of those in stock. 
[/quote']

My father just got his Nabraska a few days back.  Bloody nice bike.  Fast responsive and great looking.  My dad had the option to buy the other bike you named, but settled on the Nabraska after talking to our LBS...  Get the Silverback.  Great bike!

Oh yes.  Forgot to mention.  The brakes on the Nabraska was a bit dull for me.  I could not endo the bike as my fathers setup with the brakes is a weak setup.  He is still a bit twitchy on the breaks, so the LBS set it up with a weak setup.  Would replace the gear system with rapidrise.  But that is all I would change.

agree that nabraska has got better components..My brakes initially felt a bit pap but after 60km's or so they have settled nice..they really are excellent stoppers and after this weekends ride im still stoked on this bike..