Scott Spark pivot service advice

Rock Guy

Hi All

Okay, I'm aware that Scotts are notorious for creaking like an old wooden boat. That aside, my Spark 920 wasn't all that bad until fairly recently. I decided to pull the pivots apart, check the bearings and re-grease them.

Upon doing this I discovered that there are two aluminium spacers on either side of the pivot right behind the rear shock (i.e. the pivot at the top of the seatstay). I know which way round they were in there, but I'm in doubt on whether the bike shop that last serviced the pivots put these spacers in the right way round. If you've done this service yourself before you will know that each side has two spacers, one larger (red) than the other (gold), but both have a thicker inside edge on one side (i.e. only one side of the spacer is flat). 

I have two questions. 1) Which way round should the spacers go in (must the large spacer go on the outside of the frame and the small one on the inside)? And 2) Which direction should the thicker inside edge of the spacers point (should it point towards the bearing or away)?

Any advice on the matter would be much appreciated, I would take the bike back to the bike shop that did the last service, but to be honest I would not trust their opinion (lets not delve into that topic now though).

Cheers

I can't picture exactly the way your frame pivots are mounted but in general those spacers must tighten up against the inner race of the bearing, without pressurising the seal.  My guess is that the thinner edge against the bearing will do this.  As to which one goes where you may get an idea by checking which one gives the least angle where the shock bolts on.  Also you may be able to see if any gap appears at the frame mount.  If they are in the wrong position, when you tighten the bolt one or more of the bearings will become stiff, as the inner race will be moved over relative to the outer race.

As to greasing the bearings you may as well replace them as the labour involved in servicing vs the cost of the bearings is high.

Another major source of suspension creak is the rear skewer, if you have one.  Try lube or a different one before stripping the frame.

• 2 years later...

Hey Rock Guy,

Did you ever get an answer to this question?  I have exactly the same issue and the internet is devoid of any kind of answer.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

JamieB