Another 26er SS Build

Tractor

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nicest Ralley's I have seen in a long time. Great work. What did you use to strip the frames? Removall?

I used Fix It "Double Strength" paint stripper on both the frames - I just bought it from the local Builders Warehouse.   

where did you get that fork? how about some closeups of the brake mount?

Skollie I bought the fork a while back, was going to use it for another project but decided to run a suspension fork on that instead so I used it on this build.  The fork has disk brake tabs on it so it's just a matter of bolting on the caliper.

I used Fix It "Double Strength" paint stripper on both the frames - I just bought it from the local Builders Warehouse.   

Was there much scrubbing involved and is it a beatch to work with?

I applied the paint stripper and waited a couple of  minutes before scraping the loose paint off with a plastic scraper and then hosing off all the gunk, repeated a couple of times and that was that.  It takes about a full morning per frame.  Just remember to wear gloves.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I posted the last build thread so here's another one that I did recently.  The name of the game was "recycle" and "budget" - I literally wanted to complete the build out of what I had lying around without buying anything new.

I had another RM5 frame so that was chosen along with a Fire Eye rigid fork which I had already stripped of it's paint a while back so that was going to be used as well.

was that a threaded fork? i'm in the process of doing a SS build with an old GT 26er mtb.

i plan to replace the old shocks on the bike with rigid forks. picked up a rigid fork but notice its not threaded like the existing shock that was on the bike. can i get around not having a threaded fork. please excuse my ignorance should this question seem trivial 

was that a threaded fork? i'm in the process of doing a SS build with an old GT 26er mtb.

i plan to replace the old shocks on the bike with rigid forks. picked up a rigid fork but notice its not threaded like the existing shock that was on the bike. can i get around not having a threaded fork. please excuse my ignorance should this question seem trivial 

Probably just need a different headset - but that might imply new stem and bars too... depending on what you have already.

I do have a spare 26" steel threaded rigid fork in my spares box - with 1 1/8 headset, stem and bars if you com unstuck - caliper brakes only.

Probably just need a different headset - but that might imply new stem and bars too... depending on what you have already.

I do have a spare 26" steel threaded rigid fork in my spares box - with 1 1/8 headset, stem and bars if you com unstuck - caliper brakes only.

thanks, will see what i do with what i currently have :)

for context please see the image below.

the shocks are on the right, they came on the bike.

the rigid forks on the left are the ones that i was advised would be compatible with the frame.

looking at the below pic do you still feel a different headset would need to be purchased?

post-28673-0-69753900-1433247235_thumb.jpg

the rigid forks on the left are the ones that i was advised would be compatible with the frame.

looking at the below pic do you still feel a different headset would need to be purchased?

attachicon.gifforks.jpg

They both look like 1/1-8th steerers.. should work fine..

Just be sure you take the bottom race off the shock and put it on the rigid.

attachicon.gifforks.jpg

does the rigid have a shorter steerer?

They both look like 1/1-8th steerers.. should work fine..

Just be sure you take the bottom race off the shock and put it on the rigid.

yup they both 1/1-8th steerers, thanks. noted :)

does the rigid have a shorter steerer?

the picture attached does create the illusion that its way shorter, however its only marginally shorter 

leaboy, on 02 Jun 2015 - 2:14 PM, said:

attachicon.gifforks.jpg

Can you give us a side on view of that please.

My only concern really is that the stem might have to clamp on to that threading - clearly that is not ideal - and you will need to add a star nut to the rigid one as well to accommodate the top cap - looks like it does not have one installed already - not unexpectedly because it does come from the previous generation of MTB's where quill stems were used.

Can you give us a side on view of that please.

My only concern really is that the stem might have to clamp on to that threading - clearly that is not ideal - and you will need to add a star nut to the rigid one as well to accommodate the top cap - looks like it does not have one installed already - not unexpectedly because it does come from the previous generation of MTB's where quill stems were used.

hey @v12man

will take a snap tonight and send tomorrow, thanks for the input.

this is all uncharted territory for me  :w00t: