Epic near death

Acerunner

Just off the phone to a number of Epic insiders, this passing-away story is pure rumour. Let's leave it alone now, for his family and friends' sake? When the family is ready to give updates, they will. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Youre joking???? WTF?? Why would people make up **** like that??

Just off the phone to a number of Epic insiders, this passing-away story is pure rumour. Let's leave it alone now, for his family and friends' sake? When the family is ready to give updates, they will.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just received this mail:

Dear NJ,

As a 2015 Absa Cape Epic rider, I wanted to communicate directly with you about an incident on the event this year.

Many of you will have heard about the Czech rider Jiri Markuci, who was injured in a crash soon after the start on Stage 5 at Worcester. Many of you would have seen him injured and being treated alongside the course.

Naturally, there has been some discussion amongst riders and in the cycling industry around this but I’m sure you can appreciate that from our end we need to respect patient confidentiality, which is the prerogative of his family. Mediclinic has been handling media queries on the medical issues.

Jiri was transferred home to the Czech Republic at the weekend, where he will continue his treatment.

Here is the press statement that we issued today:

The mountain biker from the Czech Republic who was seriously injured during the Absa Cape Epic has been transferred to his home country.

Mr Jiri Markuci was admitted to the ICU at Worcester Mediclinic on March 20 after being involved in a crash on Stage 5 of the 2015 race.

Responding to media queries, race doctor and chief clinical officer for Mediclinic Special Events, Dr Jann Killops, said: “The patient was transferred to the Czech Republic at the weekend at the request of his wife for ongoing care and rehabilitation. On March 20 he had an accident and was resuscitated and stabilised on the scene before being transported to the Mediclinic Worcester,” said Dr Killops. "He underwent emergency surgery, performed by Dr Neels du Plessis, a general surgeon. At the time of leaving South Africa he was in a stable condition.”

Absa Cape Epic founder Kevin Vermaak said: “This has been a difficult few weeks but we have been reassured by the outstanding work of the medical staff involved. Our thoughts are with the rider, his friends and family”.

The accident happened within two kilometres of the start of the stage from Worcester to Wellington and medical personnel were on the scene within minutes.

I would like to reiterate my comments about the medical treatment, both by the emergency crews on the scene and subsequently at the Mediclinic Worcester. Their professionalism has been outstanding.

I am sure you will join the entire Absa Cape Epic team in keeping Jiri and his family in your thoughts.

Warm regards,
Kevin Vermaak

Kind Regards
The Absa Cape Epic Team

Edited by N-I-N-J-A

• 4 years later...

I know it's few years old discussion thread but truth is that rider from Czech Rep. lost so much blood on the spot that his brain did not survived and he 'died' few months later :(

RIP