Thule 4-bike carrier

Jacques@ACT

I had the two bike Thule. Very nice. Just don't take it off road. It will break. Well mine did.

I have 2 bike stand-on. The rack with 2 bikes been up Sani pass and through Lesotho, some dirt roads in the Western Cape including the Cederberg, and on some dirt roads in Namibia. Also Bergenaarspad pass in the Northern Cape. Bikes and bikerack very secure all the way.

The corrugation on the way to Witsand (Northern Cape) caused one of the plastic things that the wheels roll into to break. If I knew better I would have deflated the Jimny's wheels a bit - so that was more user error that bike rack issues.

I had the two bike Thule. Very nice. Just don't take it off road. It will break. Well mine did.

No ways. This is exactly what has been bugging me. Not taking my car offroad with the carrier yet - and now I am even more reluctant to.

What part of your carrier broke?

Edited by DominionZA

Thanks for all the feedback. Ive ordered the 4 bke hang on carrier. Will be using it on the back of a Kombi. I'm a bit OCD with tying things on, so the bikes should hopefully be secure enough on there. I will probably use 20 bungys, ropes and locks and some more... ☺

One of the bolts sheered leaving the rack hanging on one side. I don't think a car on a dirt road will be an issue altough you can get some stone damage from stoned fling up. I'm speaking from first hand experience here,