New rim advice

flamer

I second PhilipV on the Stans design being great. Tyres go on easy, easy to inflate and once the bead has popped sits like glue. I for one like the tape. Put mine on 2 years ago and have not had the need to do maintenance, but its super easy, no fancy magnets to get your nipples out. As for your rim choice on a SJ FSR it would be Flow EX. If its the SJ hardtail then go Arch EX. If you weigh less than 80kg you can consider the Arch for your FSR, but the additional width of the Flow makes tires grip so much better.

WTB i25....... great rim. I have the i23's and can honestly say I'll never want any other rim. I had ArchEX........ not all tyres go on easily. Or come off easily for that matter. WTB rims don't disappoint.

• 2 weeks later...

I've fitted proper UST tyres to a stans rim. Continental Mountain King to a Flow rim. My guess is that the stans rim sidewall is slightly higher? The reverse of trying to fit a Sagauaro to any rim?

So my answer is: I don't know, please enlighten me.

Sorry dude. Got busy, then internet issues... Nearly forgot about this.

Pink bike have done some articles:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/To-The-Point-UST-Rims-Tires-2013.html

The systems from Stans and other tubeless conversions do work, in that they allow you to create a mostly airtight tire and rim interface. But these systems don’t have nearly as secure of a bead lock between the tire and rim. This can lead to inconsistent or at worst, unsafe tire security on the rim. Of course, this all looks like promotion of Mavic’s patented system, but other rim and tire manufacturers have clearly tested and seen the benefits of going with proper UST certification. I’ve spoken to a tire product manager at WTB who was very candid about the unsafe conditions they found in some “tubeless” systems, and it’s why they created their rims and tires with proper UST certification. The same is true for other brands like Easton and ENVE.

It seems as though Stan's increased the height of the rim wall to make it less prone to burping etc instead of creating a proper UST profile. Conti tyres can be a nightmare to seat. Have litres of spilt sealant in the workshop trying to sort them out.

Another interesting article:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/five-questions-wtbs-jason-moeschler-on-wheel-and-tire-design.html

We don’t have our own system. We are simply following the industry standards. Our product works really well with other brands of product that follow ETRTO. And guess what? Our product might not work so well with brands that don’t follow the INDUSTRY STANDARDS. Who is to blame here?

Archived