Some advice please

L Gerbs

I am looking at getting into the sport of cycling. Want to get an affordable quality bike just to see if it is something I would like. Looking at a Titan entry level bike with lots of Shimano bits and pieces and disc brakes etc. Is Titan a good entry level bike as I do not want to break the bank before I know that I enjoy the sport.

I take it you look to get into MTB'ing? Good strategy to pick up a cheap bike to try out with, but it is suuuuper entry level and you will struggle to sell it if you do not like it. Try to lend a bike from a friend and then try it.

I am looking at getting into the sport of cycling. Want to get an affordable quality bike just to see if it is something I would like. Looking at a Titan entry level bike with lots of Shimano bits and pieces and disc brakes etc. Is Titan a good entry level bike as I do not want to break the bank before I know that I enjoy the sport.

Just some advice. Just because it says Shimano, it doesn't mean it is good. Shimano makes some of the best stuff in the business, but also makes some rubbish.

Having said that, the Shimano you get with Titan is not bad and still capable. You can't go wrong with a Titan

What's your budget?

You're probably better off picking up something in the classifieds here.

You also need to decide whether you want to go flats/clipless as it will determine what shoes you need. Then there's shorts to consider; I personally wouldn't ride more than a few km without some kind of padding, but that's largely because I prefer saddles with minimal padding. Spend as much as you can afford on shoes/shorts as these will be the biggest influencing factors for comfort and will really affect your enjoyment levels.

+1 on all of the above.

Nothing wrong with Titan.

Don't go for the real cheap stuff, due to weight, suspension (which might as well be rigid), sluggish shifting, overall dynamics of the bike. These are all things that might put you off of cycling for no good reason.

Budget?

You, this is turning into a bigger thing than buying a car. As a runner it is easy. Tekkies and short and off you go. Thank you for all the advice. Looking at the Titan Sport 29R. It looks like a cool bike and the colours are nice. I'm not planning on taking on mountains as yet. Maybe using it to ride to work and back and a bit of Groenkloof and Rosemary Hill over the weekend. Received a warning about cracked frames when looking at second hand bikes. Budget was going to be R3500 but now looking at spending in the range of R6000 on something new. Cool thing is warrantees and free first two services.

Found my bike under classifieds. Bianchi Kuma 29.1. Tubeless tyres already fitted. Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated.

Found my bike under classifieds. Bianchi Kuma 29.1. Tubeless tyres already fitted. Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated.

I have the exact bike as my first entry level bike and it has been great AND it's sexy too - Bianchi is beautiful :-)

Good luck and remember to enjoy yourself!

Archived