Logistical advice for TransBaviaans

willemjnaude

Hi

As per the title I am looking for any and all available advice regarding the logistics of doing my first TransBaviaans.

Specifically, I have arranged a support driver but I'm really not sure what their role is...do they just have to attend the breefing pre-race and meet you at the end, or are their designated check points where they can meet up with you with equipment/spares/food.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have searced and scoured the website but there's not much I could find in this regard.

Also, any advice on what equipment (besides the prerequisite safety stuff listed on the website)? Obviously, a good system for lighting, basic tools and spares for running repairs if needed (do I have to carry all these on me at all times, or can they be left at strategic point with the SD).

Thanx in advance for all advice...its a big distance as a first-timer and dont want to botch the smaller stuff and make it a negative experience????

Some things I have heard by listening to club members and couch with have done this race is:

Remember warm clothes, the night could get cold

Eat enough at the water points

Do not ( I repeat do not) follow the guys in front of you blindly, especially on the end, you might end up take the wrong turn

Other than that I can not help you

Enjoy and stay safe on the route

In the past, support drivers met with their teams on 2 of the last 3 or 3 of the last 4 checkpoints. They can bring food, water, energy gels/drinks/water, warm/dry clothing but all of the pit stops except the last or second last one is unmanned.

Edited by BSG

OK thanx....do the organisers identify all the relevant checkpoints that are rally-points with the support drivers before the briefing on the morning of the start, or does it become a matter of making quick decisions on the morning?

I am assuming all these point would be outside of the reserve section of the race...

It does feel as though there is a bit of an information vacuum from the organisers????not meant as an insult or to slate the organiser, they have obviously been running the race quite successfully for a long time. But it is a looooong ride and alot of planning has to go into it from the riders perspective, after all, none of us want to pitch up ill-prepared. Especially for a newbie like myself. I havent even received any sort of official correspondence confirming my entry...money paid yada yada...then I have to arrange for leave, spouse has to make arrangements at work, acc has to be booked and paid for. Its always nice just to get some feedback to make it official and all

OK thanx....do the organisers identify all the relevant checkpoints that are rally-points with the support drivers before the briefing on the morning of the start, or does it become a matter of making quick decisions on the morning?

I am assuming all these point would be outside of the reserve section of the race...

It does feel as though there is a bit of an information vacuum from the organisers????not meant as an insult or to slate the organiser, they have obviously been running the race quite successfully for a long time. But it is a looooong ride and alot of planning has to go into it from the riders perspective, after all, none of us want to pitch up ill-prepared. Especially for a newbie like myself. I havent even received any sort of official correspondence confirming my entry...money paid yada yada...then I have to arrange for leave, spouse has to make arrangements at work, acc has to be booked and paid for. Its always nice just to get some feedback to make it official and all

Willem, yes on Saturday morning there is a support drivers meeting where the relevant checkpoints are given, the last time I was on the support I think we got Gps plottings for said checkpoints. Unfortunately I don't remember if they give it out in advance otherwise the ride will not be an adventure. [emoji6] [emoji41]

Willem go search for "Trans Baviaans 2015" if I remember correctly there is someones log from a previous year's race.

Thank you for the info....super keen for the ride. I tend to over-plan things though????

What are the river crossings like (if any), toting with the idea of getting some sealskinz sock for the night part if its gonna get wet

Depending on the weather, if that area had good rains, there will be quite a few "driffies" to go through, with if I remember correctly the longest one about 50m long. They can vary in depth from just ankle deep to knee deep.

Some time ago they had a very warm, dry ride, one other time that I remember they had ice rain through the Baviaans.

The latest checkpoint to have lights and warm clothing will be Bergplaas because if possible one needs to reach checkpoint at Bergplaas before dark.