Shimano SLX Brakes

vetkop

I have a Giant Anthem with Shimano SLX brake set and the brake pads makes a very abrasive sound when the brakes get hot; it is only 2 months old.

Anyone else experiencing the same problem? Are there better brake pads to buy to reduce this?

Or should I ignore it?

Thanks

What brake pads - likely sintered metal?

And rotors - Shimano/Avid etc?

I found that a Shimano sintered on Avid rotors sounds like grinding glass, but works fine.

What brake pads - likely sintered metal?

And rotors - Shimano/Avid etc?

I found that a Shimano sintered on Avid rotors sounds like grinding glass, but works fine.

It is currently the standard that came with the bike; and yes it sounds like grinding glass.

I think we need more detail.

Is it all Shimano SLX components?

Are the pads correctly aligned and adjusted. Are you sure the caliper is not touching the disc? Do you have metal or resin pads in? What brand? What riding conditions?

I think we need more detail.

Is it all Shimano SLX components?

Are the pads correctly aligned and adjusted. Are you sure the caliper is not touching the disc? Do you have metal or resin pads in? What brand? What riding conditions?

Thank you for your response.

I do not have all the information you are asking for; all I know is:

1. The standard that came with the bike (all SLX I suppose)

2. Doing normal training in Gauteng, not muddy, the odd river crossing

Cool...some noise is normal. Metal pads are noisier than resin and more likely to make the noise you describe. If the brakes are working OK then keep going but check all is aligned and clean.

If the caliper is incorrectly aligned the pads will not wear evenly and will not clamp the disc perpendicularly - this is more likely to squeal than make a grinding noise. It will cause premature wear though.

If the caliper is off centre or incorrect spacers used then the caliper body can rub on the disc. Do the wheels rotate freely with no rubbing when brakes are hot? ....they should.

If there is dirt in the caliper it will be noisier.

Check the disc is not badly scored. After only 2 months it will show some wear but should be smooth and evenly worn both sides.

Check the pistons on both sides of each disc are retracting when you release brakes....should be able so see light in the gap.

Cool...some noise is normal. Metal pads are noisier than resin and more likely to make the noise you describe. If the brakes are working OK then keep going but check all is aligned and clean.

If the caliper is incorrectly aligned the pads will not wear evenly and will not clamp the disc perpendicularly - this is more likely to squeal than make a grinding noise. It will cause premature wear though.

If the caliper is off centre or incorrect spacers used then the caliper body can rub on the disc. Do the wheels rotate freely with no rubbing when brakes are hot? ....they should.

If there is dirt in the caliper it will be noisier.

Check the disc is not badly scored. After only 2 months it will show some wear but should be smooth and evenly worn both sides.

Check the pistons on both sides of each disc are retracting when you release brakes....should be able so see light in the gap.

Thank you! Will check this out tonight.