CPT Cycle Route Along DeWaal Drive

Two-Stroke

The area to the left (mountain side) of the M3 is part of the national park, hence the City's reluctance to do anything on that side. The nature of the traffic requires some sort of barrier between the traffic and cyclists, which will inevitably require additional land to be procured from the National Park.

My understanding of the process of procuring this land is that it requires 2 acts of parliament, which is probably more PT than the City is prepared to do for a few bikers. When the upgrade of Hospital Bend was done the decision was that every effort should be made to avoid having to take land from the Park, as the process is long. So I suspect you won't see cycle lanes along that section for a while.

Thanks Lone_Ranger... Had a feeling the concept would need land acquired which brings red tape & painful process.  Unlikely CoCT will embark on that for the benefit of a few bike nutters.

Oh well - was a good idea though!

• 8 months later...

I know this is almost a year later, but I can assure all that the City is working really hard to making cycling one of the most convenient means of transport. I do not have any answers to your questions or concerns, but in the coming months you will start to see cycle lanes popping up everywhere. All we need is for you, us, the cyclists, to start using them. If this happens, intersections will start to become more cyclist friendly and higher order cycling lanes will start to be constructed. In the meanwhile, don't stop commuting with your bike. The city is starting to do surveys and will prioritise cycle lanes according to numbers.  

I know this is almost a year later, but I can assure all that the City is working really hard to making cycling one of the most convenient means of transport. I do not have any answers to your questions or concerns, but in the coming months you will start to see cycle lanes popping up everywhere. All we need is for you, us, the cyclists, to start using them. If this happens, intersections will start to become more cyclist friendly and higher order cycling lanes will start to be constructed. In the meanwhile, don't stop commuting with your bike. The city is starting to do surveys and will prioritise cycle lanes according to numbers.  

This sounds great!

Can you tell us where these lanes might start appearing?

And an approximate timeline?

I commute everyday 

There were people the other day with clipboards on the cycle lane to table view noting the no. of cyclists.

Not sure if I should be riding here but last year I did a fair few trips into town and back on the path the runs along side of De Waal Drive outbound. I can hop on just on by the hospital / main road and goes straight into Wembley Sq. Just mixes it up if I don't fancy the mountain and is still a fun climb going home. 

This seemed like it'd be great path to turn into a commuter bike path as there sure aren't any walkers or taxis to battle with and it's got killer views. 

post-15825-0-31904500-1457019060_thumb.jpg

This sounds great!

Can you tell us where these lanes might start appearing?

And an approximate timeline?

All I know is that the city's NMT (non-motorised transport) department is currently developing a cycle strategy. After that a cycle master plan will be finalised. And slowly but surely small improvements will be implemented. But to give a timeline is difficult, this is the City after all! xD

But as I said before, the most important thing is for cyclist to use it. This will ensure buy-in from politicians, and as soon as they started pushing for it, things will go a lot quicker.

If you come along Main rd towards town, after crossing the bridge over the freeway, turn left into Anzio street, a little higher up, at the circle, you can jump the pavement and access the pavement that runs next to the freeway on the city side of Hospital bend. Not sure whether it's ridable, nor where it ends up in relationship to the bridge to Dewaal drive. But have seen a strava map that showed a rider making his way along the pavement of De Waal drive for almost its whole length.

Ive used this route a number of times. I believe it is the safest route into town from the south if you are on your own.

if you are with others go on the mountain.

There seems to be a regular gathering at the rhodes cattle grid at 6am for people to ride to town.

• 4 months later...

Not sure if I should be riding here but last year I did a fair few trips into town and back on the path the runs along side of De Waal Drive outbound. I can hop on just on by the hospital / main road and goes straight into Wembley Sq. Just mixes it up if I don't fancy the mountain and is still a fun climb going home. 

This seemed like it'd be great path to turn into a commuter bike path as there sure aren't any walkers or taxis to battle with and it's got killer views.

I've been considering this route as an alternative to the mountain as I'm really not keen to ride over alone. I started a what's app group last year for commuters from Newlands but despite getting a few people together it fizzled out as everyone (including me) had different needs in terms of time, and abilities were too mixed. What would really be good is for an informal but standard understanding of a 6.00 and 6.30am "crossing" from Rhodes Mem - just to get past the mugging danger zone but with no obligation to stick to anything but your own pace.

Archived