Reid and Vale snatch up National XCO titles

News bot

It was a tale of two races at the 2015 Stihl SA MTB Championships presented by Subaru Cape Town/Novus Holdings with James Reid snatching victory in an end sprint whilst Cherie Vale put in a commanding performance to win the ladies cross country title on Saturday.

Click here to view the article

Was the incident where the kid ran in front of Lombardi reported to the race commissioner? 

No ways!! Did a kid seriously run in front of him?? No urine involved was there?? Bummer!  I heard Mathew was in the lead, what happened Lance, did you see it??

"I heard Mathew was in the lead, what happened Lance, did you see it??"

At the end of the flow/jump section, where it crossed the jeep track, adjacent to the Maties stables. I was standing there with a mate who had raced earlier.

Matt did some hero cadence braking, as the kid froze as soon as everyone started shouting (and he was right in the middle of the transition section), and had  to dismount. I thought the kid was a goner. But Lombardi has skills. It cost him dearly, though...

Blame the parent. Boy was probably about nine- or ten-years old, had substantial eye glasses (as someone with sight issues, I noticed). Was crying as his mom took him away. I felt they should have gone to the commissioner and made a declaration, and he should have met Matt afterwards. To get closure. Perhaps he did. But it was a very unfortunate state of affairs, which could easily have been an outright tragedy, if someone of lesser (than Matt) skills had been involved.