Windows 10 compatibility with Polar products and software

Grogs

I have several Polar products. Lately it feels a bit like Nokia to me. My Polar V650 still doesn't sync every time.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​My RC800CX is 3 years old and last December I perchased one for my wife, Christmas and all!! 

Hence needing two!!

I do monthly comparisons year vs. year as well as a whole lot of other cr*p.  In addition all the down loads generate Vitality points.

sooo 2 new units are required!!!!

Incidentally, I have the same problem with vitality. I could be getting a smoothie/vida every week for free on vitality rewards. Another  :thumbdown:  Polar! 

Yip, this will cost the company, and couple of years down the line, when they are about to be taken over or go bust the boardroom talk would be "how did we not see that coming?"  Like Black Berry - boom, and you out.

Just check the classifieds to see how many hubbers are dropping the product (*me included :ph34r: ) and thus the company.  Being a great Polar supporter for many years, my family and I are now all Garmin, thanks to Polar.

Could be a lesson here somewhere for future MBA studies, look-backs, reflections, what-not-to-do, how to keep a customer... :thumbdown:

*And no one is buying even at give away prices - another warning sign.  Will just use it a an expensive watch. :wacko: 

Damn, Damn, Damn.

Been using a Polar RS800 for years and felt let down when I upgraded to Win 10 and poof, no iR uploads. Anyway, been searching high and low for an update driver, even asked my IT savvy son to search to no avail. So ... decided to wait patiently for the driver update to appear. Only to read this thread. Flippen hell. This is pathetic.

Musty admit to having received really great backup service form Polar over the last 10 years or so I've been using their products. Always been miffed at the need to transport items to Gauteng as they have no service center in Cape Town, but bared and grinned and accepted this inconvenience.

Now my running stats will have to captured though an upgrade, a GARMIN UPGRADE.

Cheers Polar. Suppose you guys are trying hard to become as ageless as Polaroid and Kodak. Anyone old enough to remember them?

Damn, Damn, Damn.

It seems a bit strange (even for polar) as these pre flow / irda products are still available for sale etc....

Had a quick look on the polar forum and saw this, seems like its Microsoft who uumm pooped in the trink wasser

Keep an eye open on these forums for possible solutions

https://forum.polar.fi/showthread.php?t=31085

Quote: "According to this link the problem is that Microsoft removed the irda stack in the final version of windows 10 (unanounced).
http://m.heise.de/newsticker/meldung...r-2796019.html

So at least in this case its not polars fault, but Microsofts which seems to be thinking that irda is something nobody needs."

And on the Windows 10 forums, see the post by Coolgear caleb dated 25 August

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-pro-usb-irda-adapter-driver/9d5e73cf-7a1a-4633-b6e1-186d8b42f97b

Quote:

"Hi,

I work for a company (Coolgear) that sells some of these IR adapters, and even some Polar compatible models.

We were taken completely by surprise by all of this. We had tested all of our IR adapters, even the older (and much better SigmaTel models), and they worked just fine with the Windows 10 pre-release editions and thought nothing further of it.

On launch day, none of them worked anymore. Come to find out, some time between the pre-release edition we tested with, and the final release, Microsoft removed *all* IRDA support from Windows. The entire IRDA stack is gone (imagine a computer coming without TCP/IP support!).

We've been in touch with MosChip/ASIX (the chip used in all of these adapters) and they have assured us that they will be working to provide us (and all of you!) with and updated driver & software, but can provide no ETA. Obviously they have to do a lot more work than simply fixing a few bugs an resubmitting for WHQL certification, so it may take quite a while.

Stay tuned to our website, we'll have the the driver posted there as soon as it becomes available, and in theory it *should* work with any MCS7780 based IRDA adapters, as we do not make firmware or EPROM changes to our units.

For those with the older (and frankly superior) SigmaTel units, I'm afraid that company has been out of business for a long time, so a driver update for Windows 10 is unlikely :( "

I have done quite a bit of work researching this.

The current situation is as follows (I am not a software engineer, so please excuse me if I am clearly not making sense to software engineers - this is just a lawyer's understanding of what has happened):

1) On early releases of the Windows 10 operating system, there was USB IR adapter support built in to the operating system.

2) With one of the updates in about July/August this year, this IR support was removed (something about USB IR "stacks" being removed from the operating system). This appears to be because someone at Microsoft decided that IR was outdated and that no-one uses it.

3) Quite a few companies that write drivers are aware of this issue (it affects millions of users, and is not particular to Polar IR USB adapters - I understand that Garmin also has at least one product that uses IR, and some cameras also use it).

4) These companies have been trying to write drivers, but need Microsoft's assistance to do so (I think it has something to do with the "stack" I previously mentioned). They have been begging Microsoft for this assistance, but nothing has happened thus far (there was a cumulative update to Windows 10 on 30 September which hasn't brought the "stack" back).

5) Apparently there is to be another major update to Windows 10 in November. We will have to see if the Windows 10 operating system will then have the "stack" again.

So it appears that the problem might be with Microsoft (and not necessarily Polar). And here's where my lawyer understanding comes in: Polar don't want to say that Microsoft isn't coming to the party, because Polar is scared of being sued by Microsoft.

If this is the case, I don't think that Polar should be let off the hook in any event. They could communicate the problem a bit better (without opening themselves to litigation by Microsoft). Also, they appear to be using this situation as an opportunity to market their newer products.

There is another solution, which involves installing a VM (virtual machine) on the computer that has Windows 10 installed on it. The VM will run Windows 7/8, and the IR USB adapter can be run through that (the Polar software and drivers also need to be installed on the VM). The solution involves running two operating systems on one computer - I am told that this can be problematic (and dangerous - it could result in loss of data). I am by no means a technical guru when it comes to this type of thing, so (not only do I not have a clue as to how to go about setting up this VM configuration), I am also a bit scared to do it. 

Another solution is that, if you have installed Windows 10 less than a month ago, you can "roll back" to the operating system you were using before via settings. Again, I wouldn't know how to do this and, in any event, I upgraded to Windows 10 more than a month ago.

As an aside, in the course of all of my research, I have also found out that Windows 10 will be Microsoft's "last" operating system - they (Microsoft) are moving towards the provision of software by way of a service. This means that you will, in future no longer purchase a license for software (be it MS Word, MSExcel or Windows), but will rather pay for the use of software on a monthly/annual basis via a service type arrangement. If you don't pay, you not only don't have access to the updates, you also don't have access to the software. So, even though Windows 10 is currently free (for anyone who isn't a corporate and who has an earlier version of Windows), this will probably change in future. It's already happened with Office 365 - you get the "latest" version of all of the Office components for a renewable monthly/annual fee.

Ho hum. 

If this is the case, I don't think that Polar should be let off the hook in any event. They could communicate the problem a bit better (without opening themselves to litigation by Microsoft). Also, they appear to be using this situation as an opportunity to market their newer products.

Polar and communicate ? :w00t:

I don't think there is a Polar / Finnish word for Communicate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I just upraded to Win 10 and this problem is still there. Will see tonight if latest Polar 5 version will fix this.

From Polar website. I have two CS600's and no to little money for a new computer.

(Update 10th of August 2015) We would like to remind you that if you choose to change the operating system of your computer which is not listed in the packaging of the IrDa USB adapter, that this might result in the situation where the data transfer might not work anymore. Polar will not launch a new driver to support the IrDa USB adapter for the new Windows 10 operating system. Polar USB IrDA adapter is compatible with Microsoft Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP/Vista/Win7. The compatibility information can be found from the set package or the product sticker on the package.

We encourage you to shift over to our new Flow compatible products for full product support. For further information about the Flow compatible products and services, please contact your local Polar distributor. We are happy to help you choose the best Flow compatible product for your needs.

The possibility to export your training history from polarpersonaltrainer.com and Pro Trainer 5 to Flow is just around the corner. After this integration you can have all your training sessions at one place with your new Polar Flow compatible device.  Stay tuned at Polar updates to see when it’s live!

http://updates.polar.com/2015/07/windows-10-compatibility-with-polar-products-and-softwares/

I also hit this wall a few weeks back when i upgraded to Win 10, which is actually fantastic and did quite a lot of research into the matter.

Whilst i was also beyond appalled at the response from Polar, it seems as though the dirty was actually done by microsoft who decided to drop support for the IR unit "the day before release".

I think (hope) that MS will come to their senses soon and provide this patch.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Archived