PPA Mangaung Cycle Tour, a qualifying seeding event for the upcoming Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

Do you need to enter a seeded event before the 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour? The Pedal Power Association recently established an office in Bloemfontein committing to offer local cyclists the opportunity to participate in a seeding event leading up to the 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour. Sponsored by the Mangaung Municipality, the PPA Mangaung Cycle Tour is expected to grow in stature going forward. Other sponsors include Coca-Cola Fortune, BMW Sovereign, SPE Security and the Lemon & Lime Guesthouse.

Click here to view the article

I have been hesitating to enter this event, I have never done it before..

I would love to hear some feedback from riders who have done it before ...

I have been hesitating to enter this event, I have never done it before..

I would love to hear some feedback from riders who have done it before ...

The route has changed a fair bit this year, due to road works on the N1.

There is a section of about 15km that I've never even driven before, nevermind ridden, so absolutely no idea what to expect there, route or safety wise.

As for the rest, pretty flat up to about 80km (Harrismith , Albrecht), about 85km (Lucas Steyn), and about 95km (over the N1 from the Dealsville/KBY road).

The part of Harrismith road we climb is about 800m.

Albrecht is 800m - 900m, but it is the second part that hurts, short but very steep.

Lucas Steyn is also 800 - 900m.

The climb over the N1 is about 1.7km long.

The last one I rode was 2012 though, but it was nice and fast.

I've unfortunately missed the previous two for various reasons, and will probably miss this year's, due to a knee niggle :(

I have done the previous two years. I remember it as a fast race. Albrecht hill is a killer but like hdb said its not that long. I think there where about 400 people riding the 106km route but if it weren't for the bad weather there would have been a couple more

Do we have some details on this Albrecht Hill? Distance, average gradient and max gradient perhaps?