Reasons for breaking spokes

2 X 2

This is interesting in that it is an unusual place for a good spoke to break unless the chain has damaged the spokes when coming off between the cassette and spokes. I can't believe two different builders both have a bad batch of spokes.  The usual place for the spoke to fatigue is in the J bend or at the end of the thread.  There are a number of things to consider such as number of spokes, number of crosses, wheel size, weight of riders etc.  

Tire pressure on a MTB will not significantly reduce spoke tension and tension is unlikely to be too high as the rim would fail before the spokes break.  

If the hubs are the correct width for the frame they are also not likely to cause the problem.

I would consider 36 holes on a MTB tandem too few but getting a rim and hubs with more will not be easy - assuming you have disc brakes.  

24 holes on a road tandem wheel is just asking for it! Just a matter of time and mileage before the problems start.  I won't even guarantee the spokes on a normal road rear that I build with 24 spokes.

Poor spoke tension, ask the wheel builder to use the correct tension tools to build the wheel and not just try to get it to run true. Individually check tensions on all spokes.

Thank you for all the advice.  I took the back wheel to another bike shop in Pretoria and they adjusted the tension.  Went on a technical ride this week end and so far the spokes are still holding.

This is interesting in that it is an unusual place for a good spoke to break unless the chain has damaged the spokes when coming off between the cassette and spokes. I can't believe two different builders both have a bad batch of spokes.  The usual place for the spoke to fatigue is in the J bend or at the end of the thread.  There are a number of things to consider such as number of spokes, number of crosses, wheel size, weight of riders etc.  

Tire pressure on a MTB will not significantly reduce spoke tension and tension is unlikely to be too high as the rim would fail before the spokes break.  

If the hubs are the correct width for the frame they are also not likely to cause the problem.

I would consider 36 holes on a MTB tandem too few but getting a rim and hubs with more will not be easy - assuming you have disc brakes.  

24 holes on a road tandem wheel is just asking for it! Just a matter of time and mileage before the problems start.  I won't even guarantee the spokes on a normal road rear that I build with 24 spokes.

Hi David.  As far as the 24 spoke wheels on the road tandem.  It is Rolfe Tandem wheels and I had them for about 5 years and no spoke breakage.

Archived