Reasons for breaking spokes

2 X 2

Lost a lot of spokes and it was recommended that I replace all my spokes with double butted spokes.  This was done but the spokes still break.  It breaks on the part where the spoke changes from thin to thick just before it hooks on to the hub (rear wheel)

BTW. it is on a Mtb Tandem.  Does wheel pressure have a influence on spoke breakage?  We run on about 1.5 to 1.7 bar.

Lost a lot of spokes and it was recommended that I replace all my spokes with double butted spokes.  This was done but the spokes still break.  It breaks on the part where the spoke changes from thin to thick just before it hooks on to the hub (rear wheel)

BTW. it is on a Mtb Tandem.  Does wheel pressure have a influence on spoke breakage?  We run on about 1.5 to 1.7 bar.

Get a wheelset built by a reputable wheel builder, especially on a tandem where the forces on spokes are huge! 

BTW who rebuilt the wheel? 

I'd increase the tyre pressure, but that is not the reason.

I had an issue after I broke a spoke on a race. Finished the race (knackering my rim in the process), replaced the spoke, but I lost two more on two different occasions. In the end the LBS recommended I replace the rim, as it's too uneven, so they cannot get the spoke tension evened out.

Edited by rickus_viljoen

I'd increase the tyre pressure, but that is not the reason.

I had an issue after I broke a spoke on a race. Finished the race (knackering my rim in the process), replaced the spoke, but I lost two more on two different occasions. In the end the LBS recommended I replace the rim, as it's too uneven, so they cannot get the spoke tension evened out.

I replaced the rims about four weeks ago on recommendation of various bike shops, so the rims are brand new.  They even put copper washers on the spokes where it meets with the hubs to prevent breaking, but as I mentioned, the spokes break on the part where it changes from thick to thin on the double butte part

Get a wheelset built by a reputable wheel builder, especially on a tandem where the forces on spokes are huge! 

BTW who rebuilt the wheel? 

Front was done by Bruce Reynecke cycles and the back wheel by Cycle House

Spoke tension is the primary cause - too low or uneven. also how many spokes do have in your tandem wheels? too few and then you are putting enormous strain on the spokes, I would not build a tandem wheel with less than 32 spokes...

Also tieing and soldering helps distribute the spoke tension more evenly (only if the tension is fairly close to start with....

Perhaps PM me as I do a lot of wheel building and we can discuss your options and remedy. I am based in JHB...

you either have a bad batch of spokes (but doubt you will get that twice in a row) or the tension on your spokes are uneven or too high.

Double butted spokes will probably be weaker for a tandem build. If they are breaking on the butt,, could that be on the lip of the hub flange? meaning its being snapped over the flange?

Tire pressure will actually reduce tension, squashing the rim and relieving tension.

i would suggest another wheelbuilder checks the tensions are even across the wheel and not in hyperflexion while riding.

Spoke tension is the primary cause - too low or uneven. also how many spokes do have in your tandem wheels? too few and then you are putting enormous strain on the spokes, I would not build a tandem wheel with less than 32 spokes...

Also tieing and soldering helps distribute the spoke tension more evenly (only if the tension is fairly close to start with....

Perhaps PM me as I do a lot of wheel building and we can discuss your options and remedy. I am based in JHB...

We are on 36 hole rims.  My road tandem is on 24 hole rims and I have not had a spoke broke in over 4 years.  My thinking is also that the tension is too high.

Will PM you

Get them built 4x by someone who knows about stress relieving. Double butted spokes from a decent manufacturer (DT Swiss, Wheelsmith and Sapim come to mind), brass nipples and even spoke tension within the spec of both the spoke and the rim.

On a tandem you need a strong set of rims built by good wheelbuilder. My business partner, Jason at The Trailhead, has a rear toxic green Spank Subrosa & Hope wheel which has nearly completed 3 J2C's on the back of various tandems. He usually loans it out on Day 1 when a tandem wheel fails. The last time the wheel needed truing was in 2013.

Let us know when you sort it out please...I have a special interest 

I hope I can get it sorted.  Already spent more on fixing wheels, than what the tandem cost me originally  :cursing:

I hope I can get it sorted.  Already spent more on fixing wheels, than what the tandem cost me originally  :cursing:

I'd be interested to know what rims, hubs, spokes and what wheelsize ?

In that book "The Man who cycled around the world" (I think it's called), Mark Beaumont speaks of getting his wheels rebuilt in some little village after he'd broken spoke after spoke. As I recall, the mechanic rebuilt them quite loose, and the wheels lasted for the rest of the journey. Maybe they're too tight? 

Not that I can comment really, because I've never actually broken one. Chains breaking is also beyond my comprehension.

I'd be interested to know what rims, hubs, spokes and what wheelsize ?

The front one is a Mavic 36 hole, the back is a Alex rim 36 hole.  Don't know what hubs it is.  It came with the tandem when i bought it.  Cant think that the hubs can cause the spokes to break.

The front one is a Mavic 36 hole, the back is a Alex rim 36 hole.  Don't know what hubs it is.  It came with the tandem when i bought it.  Cant think that the hubs can cause the spokes to break.

Well, you've replaced everything else...