[Event] Eurosteel Drak Descent 2016

zappa

Event Name: Eurosteel Drak Descent 2016
When: 23 January 2016 - 24 January 2016
Where: Sani Spoors, Underberg, Kwazulu-Natal
Category: MTB

Registration: http://eurosteeldrakdescent2016.myactiveonline.co.za/capturedetails/registration.aspx

Day 1

Start: The start of Day1 will take place at Restmount Children’s Home, Orchid Valley (same place and arrangements as in 2015) at 8.00am . Music and announcements will start from 7.00am with the race briefing at 7.50. There will be a batched start.

Route: The route for day 1 is about 50kms and is quite technical in places with about 500m of climbing. Most of the trails are single track next to the river and are challenging but loads of fun.

Water Tables: Despite the cynics who may ask why water tables are even necessary, seeing as you are going to be riding next to a river for most of the way, there will be two water tables on route.

Finish: The day 1 finish will be at the Swartberg Bridge, where there is ample parking. Timing for the ride will be done electronically. Riders will receive a drink at the end of their ride and a meal ticket which they can redeem at the Round Table fast food tent. Riders will also be entitled to a bike wash – in or next to the river.

There will be toilets at the finish – and a river dip, instead of a shower, should you be so inclined. The finish is also very close to Sani Spoors (where there are showers and toilets), and also The Olde Duck coffee shop and Vanilla Rose gift and clothing shop.

Supporters: Supporters should drive back toward Underberg and look out for the Ekhutuleni Sign (+-20kms), where there will be easy and interesting viewing of their riders.

Prize Giving: There will be no prize giving at the end of Day 1.

Shuttles: Please see Extra Services.

Day 2

Start: The start of day 2 is at Sani Spoors (very close to the finish of Day 1 and about 2kms onto the Drak Gardens road) – also the location of the Olde Duck coffee shop and Vanilla Rose shop – where there are toilets and showers. Parking will be on one of the grazing fields with the start and batching pens close by. Music and announcements will again start just after 7.00am – with the race briefing at 7.50am and the race starting at 8.00am.

Coffee and egg/bacon rolls will be available from 7.00am and the coffee shop will open for supporter breakfasts after 8.00am. Excellent cappuccinos and great food is on sale there!

Go to Event Page

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Super keen for this event. Time flies only 2 months to go. If last year was anything to go by this year's route should be a goodie from what I hear. We'll be at Spoors again for the Friday braai night to fuel up for the "race" if anyone wants to come and have a beer/chat/ride around the kiddies pump track on a 1x10 demo bike.

Thanks guys. There are two new sections of trails that are incredible riding.

Day 1 will not have "Jackall Joll" climb at the end, but will be fast flowing single track along the umzimkulu.

Day 2 cuts out the "Eskom climb" and hugs the Umzimkulu around the bends.

The drought is playing serious havoc here, we hope the rains come soon, for farmers and paddlers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Zappa, busy trying to enter. The solo entry is R1000, is that correct because then it is the same to enter a team?

Archived