Chainline with XT M8000 11 speed

Lance Roberts

and there is no spacer on the crank spindle between the spider and the bb? if so the only way out is to space the chainring

Nope, there's nothing between the BB and crank.

I'm now wondering if the 1x M8000 crank would solve this problem? They say it has an extended chainline from 50mm to 53mm, I wonder if that would be enough, and would there still be enough clearance between the chainring and the chainstay.....

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, there's nothing between the BB and crank.

I'm now wondering if the 1x M8000 crank would solve this problem? They say it has an extended chainline from 50mm to 53mm, I wonder if that would be enough, and would there still be enough clearance between the chainring and the chainstay.....

what clearance do you currently have?

what clearance do you currently have?

I don't have the bike with me at the moment, so cant take any pictures. I did check it though and it's still quite far away from the chainstay...

then you should be ok to use the 8000 crank, there was one for sale on here yesterday without chainrings @1700

It was a 2x crank, problem is I'll then have to fit the bill for an FD and shifter too. Oh, and the chainrings. If I get the 2x crank and convert it to 1x with a single chainring I think I'll end up with the same problem as I'm having now.

It was a 2x crank, problem is I'll then have to fit the bill for an FD and shifter too. Oh, and the chainrings. If I get the 2x crank and convert it to 1x with a single chainring I think I'll end up with the same problem as I'm having now.

rather stay 1X

It's so bad that I can not back pedal while in 37 or 42, the chain jumps down to the middle of the cassette...

This is a know issue with XT 1 x 11. If you back peddle while on the 42 the chain can jump down to the 37. If yours jumps to the middle of the cassette then there is an issue with your chain line. So the back peddling chain jump is not really an issue. The extent that yours jumps is.

This is a know issue with XT 1 x 11. If you back peddle while on the 42 the chain can jump down to the 37. If yours jumps to the middle of the cassette then there is an issue with your chain line. So the back peddling chain jump is not really an issue. The extent that yours jumps is.

Sorry, I meant it jumped while on the 42t and ends up on the middle of the cassette. It doesn't jump while on the middle gears of the cassette.

step 1: pedal forwards :)

I've had it with 1x10 set ups, but I believe its a symptom of a new chain, once it 'wears in' I believe it should be better.

each time I have set up 1x10 its been new and never kept it that long but never remember that problem when I had 1x9 and that was with older parts so might explain the 'worn in' chain theory.

I also think the 2x crank doesn't have the best chain ring position so rather use a 3x crank and use the middle position.

Never fiddle with BB spacers, your crank arms need to be centered!

I'm considering the 11sp M8000 setup so keen to see if the problem gets fixed.

Sorry, I meant it jumped while on the 42t and ends up on the middle of the cassette. It doesn't jump while on the middle gears of the cassette.

I wrote "if yours jumps TO the middle of the cassette" i.e. from the 42.....then there is a problem.

I dont think the 11-42 will work with 2 chain rings up front, think only the 11-40 will work.

post-44930-1447175483,5076.jpg

post-44930-1447175519,6978.jpg

post-44930-1447175542,0397.jpg

This is my chainline with new XT 11 speed. SRAM double crank with RaceFace 32T 104BCD mounted to inside of spider. 104 links in chain (Camber Expert Evo XL Frame) 11-42 rear cassette. Your L & H & B screw settings are critical. The only issue I have is back pedaling on the 42 will drop it to the 37. But I've never back pedaled up a cliff so only been an issue on the bike stand.

IMO, the 11 speed setup is very sensitive. Logic says that Shimano have not changed the width of the cassette since 9 speed so tolerances at 11 speed are small. It's a very sensitive setup. Been using it for 3 months now and just finished W2W on it, never once went searching for an extra gear.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1447175475.543446.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1447175512.010337.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1447175534.705509.jpg

This is my chainline with new XT 11 speed. SRAM double crank with RaceFace 32T 104BCD mounted to inside of spider. 104 links in chain (Camber Expert Evo XL Frame) 11-42 rear cassette. Your L & H & B screw settings are critical. The only issue I have is back pedaling on the 42 will drop it to the 37. But I've never back pedaled up a cliff so only been an issue on the bike stand.

IMO, the 11 speed setup is very sensitive. Logic says that Shimano have not changed the width of the cassette since 9 speed so tolerances at 11 speed are small. It's a very sensitive setup. Been using it for 3 months now and just finished W2W on it, never once went searching for an extra gear.

Thanks for that, I'll keep on trying till I get to a good setup.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1447175475.543446.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1447175512.010337.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1447175534.705509.jpg

Shot for this.  I have a Stumpy FSR and just took delivery of my M8000 upgrade parts (so not the crank) and have been hesitant to make the swop given the issues raised about chainline.  However, your photo's settle my nerves a bit. 

On my current 1x10 setup the line is angled in the 36t, but I am running a short cage Zee RD and as you say the width of the cassette hasn't changed so with the longer cage and the correct chain legth it shouldn't be worse (on my 1x10 backpedalling also causes a single ring drop, but less so after it's been ridden in).

Having said that I am tempted to order a new ring from Kalbo and just get the spacers included.  Would my LBS have the correct length chainring bolts to accomodate the spacers?

Did you get the spacers from Kalbo? Or equivalent to those? Problem I'm seeing is that the 32t chainring does not sit flush with the crank, because it's smaller than the 34t the 32t sticks out a bit and I'm worried that the spacers wont fit over it...

32t

attachicon.gifoval_elliptical_104bcd_chainring_8.jpg

34t

attachicon.gifoval_elliptical_104bcd_chainring_9.jpg

Hi Lance

I got spacer washers in the kit from Kalbo.

That 32t chainring pic you posted shows that it is threaded to receive the chainring bolt and has a raised 'collar'. Never seen this before.

What are the outer diameters of the two raised bits? For comparison the outside diameter of the female threaded collar of a normal chainring bolt is 9.85mm. So a spacer washer with i.d. of 10 mm fits over them.

Also....that 32t should be mounted with the raised collars facing the spider and not facing the BB. Presume you fitted it this way?

Archived