Which is best for a novice?

Bub Marley

So I'm an experienced roadie, been cycling for close on to 15 years now but I've never done off road.

I finally got my mountain bike ready and wanna hit the trails this weekend.

I stay close to durbanville so want to check out those trails first. Out of contermans, bloemendal, meerendal, hoogekraal which would be best to start out. Bear in mind I've never been on a trail before.

Also in terms of a daypass, can I just rock up there Sunday morning and buy the pass or do I need to buy in advance. I will get full membership in Jan of course.

I'd say Meerendal. Seeing as you already cycle the climb shouldn't be too tough and the single track is smooth and flowy. There's only one real drop, but it does have a 2nd and 3rd line choice. 

You can pay on the day at the trail head or honesty box.

Meerendal is probably your safest bet, save contermans for when you have a bit more nerve and skill. Maybe check out YouTube for some helmetcam videos to give you an idea of what to expect, and practice some skills at home before you go. check out GMBN on YouTube, helps a lot if you can bunny hop.

So I'm an experienced roadie, been cycling for close on to 15 years now but I've never done off road.

I finally got my mountain bike ready and wanna hit the trails this weekend.

I stay close to durbanville so want to check out those trails first. Out of contermans, bloemendal, meerendal, hoogekraal which would be best to start out. Bear in mind I've never been on a trail before.

Also in terms of a daypass, can I just rock up there Sunday morning and buy the pass or do I need to buy in advance. I will get full membership in Jan of course.

2016 Tygerberg club memberships opened today. You can use it as soon as you get the board; you don't have to wait for January. http://www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/online-orders.html

Okay so I did Meerendal yesterday, the green route. All I can say is wow. I feel like a noob starting off cycle.

I had some fun but at the same time, I really underestimated the skill level required. That final part of Stairway to Heaven was just too technical. I did okay initially and I managed the inclines quite nicely but that last bit and the narrowness of the path meant i had to unclip to avoid falling. Problem is the moment you unclip, it's quite challenging to get clipped in again because the thing is so narrow.

Also the last bit of track downwards, my freaking wrists were in so much pain. I wanted to do another loop but I could barely hold my handlebars at the end due to the hardness. I had to go really slowly as well as my handling around those bends were quite honestly, shocking. 

I've got lots to learn though in terms of handling, choosing the right gear, knowing when to break and how hard to break. Also I noticed cadence is freaking important. If your cadence isnt right you just lose grip. So yeah, practice, practice, practice.

A nice place to go if you want a little less technical ride to get used to the bike and gravel is Koeberg.  Its a lovely 21km loop and great for people starting out with mtbing.

Okay cool. I think I will check that out.

For Koeburg, you must have your ID when entering the gate. But it is a great place to learn.