Upgrading entry level Schwinn

keith

FrameSchwinn Custom Drawn 'N'Litened' Silver label TIG welded aluminum with Schwinn Race geometry, IS standard head tube, forged dropouts w/ replaceable hanger, 2x H2O bottle boss and pump peg.
ForkSchwinn Black Label Carbon Comp carbon fiber blades w/ 1 1/8" Cr-mo steerer & forged dropouts.
CranksetTruvativ Iso-Flow Road 52-42-30 Cr-Mo chainrings
Bottom BracketTruvativ Cartridge square taper 68 x 113
PedalsCycle Magic resin pedals with toe clips and toe strap safety release device
Front DerailleurShimano FD-Sora 31.8 down-pull
Rear DerailleurShimano RD-4500 Tiagra
ShiftersShimano Sora STI
FreewheelSRAM PG-830 8-speed 12-26
ChainShimano HG-50
RimsAlex R500 semi aero 32h ft/rr
TiresSchwalbe Blizzard Sport 700x23
Front HubFormula RB-31 32h
Rear HubFormula RB-32 32h
SpokesStainless Steel ED Black
NipplesUCP Brass
Front BrakeTektro 510AG dual-pivot caliper w/ DIN pads
Rear BrakeTektro 510AG dual-pivot caliper w/ DIN pads
Brake LeversShimano Sora STI
HandlebarRoad Tuned 31.8 alloy
StemRoad Tuned melt forged 31.8 clamp
GripsSchwinn gel tape with embossed star logo
HeadsetFSA integrated sealed
SaddleSelle San Marco Ponza
Seat PostRoad Tuned 27.2x350mm
Seat ClampSchwinn forged / CNC w/ Cr-Mo Allen bolt

Hey guys these are the specs of my entry level Schwinn. Any suggestions of what to upgrade? I've heard that rolling weight like rims are always noticeable once upgraded. I don't have to upgrade anything as I'm still a newbie, but would like tooBig%20smile

Lots you could do here to reduce weight if you still want to keep the frame.

Wheels, BB and Groupset change here could save you about 1.5kg's if I had to hazard a guess.

Well andrewbell not much hey- considering the bike just over 4K- spending thousands on wheels would be a bit ironicWink

Would also change the pedals on the bike - get rid of the toe straps before you put the fancy wheels on. Some of the more hifalutin in the cycling community will shun you for having great wheels and still riding with toe straps.

But image aside toe straps are not the safest way to ride as it is difficult to get your feet out of the pedals in an emergency and hopefully before you upgrade anything on the bike you have enough savvy to get yourself a decent helmet.

Muxman they came with cleats, not toe straps, so I look a little bit coolWink I also got a helmet to protect my noggen!

i would look at some of the eastons, they make some really nice wheels.

PS. how is the riding going, are you feeling stonger on the bike. We might be doing a coffee ride on sunday from suncoast to umhlanga and back if you are interested.

Good man - I was in the same predicament as you about a year ago. I started as follows according to affordability.

Handlebars

Stem

Seat

Frame

Wheels

Frame

Groupset

I started with the small stuff but that which is not so expensive, then I hunted here on the hub for some great second hand deals on frames and slowly upgraded. I now have a bike which is worth about 22K and collectively spent around 12K for the whole thing. Perhaps you should try the same.

Yeah andrewbell I've been checking on the hub and I've seen eastons quite a few times. Will look into it. I've ridden snake park to umhlanga and back a few times and average 28 kms/h, which I think is ok for a beginner right? What time you guys riding on sun? ShotSmile

Thanks muxman! Was thinking the same things- just gonna have to save and not buy groceries for the next few monthsWink

would be a slowish ride, coffee ride and we would have some other beginners. on sunday we averaged 23km/hr