Rim Colour

The Flying German

I Have a Set of the Following Rims Alex MD21, 32H,29 Inch , I was wondering if any of you had changed the colour of these rims or have any advise for me. Would it be best to Powder Coat or spray ? i Dont have Enough cash for a new wheelset just yet but Damn i would love to change the colour

I Have a Set of the Following Rims Alex MD21, 32H,29 Inch , I was wondering if any of you had changed the colour of these rims or have any advise for me. Would it be best to Powder Coat or spray ? i Dont have Enough cash for a new wheelset just yet but Damn i would love to change the colour

Powder coat for sure. Far hardier. But then you'd have to take them apart and rebuild them anyway, so why not do that, and get yourself some better rims in the process? Should be just a little bit more expensive than powdercoating, but you'll have a better rim... 

Don't forget to factor in the cost of stripping, new spokes and rebuilding. I wouldn't spend that money on Alex rims, I'd wait. My 2cw

Easiest option is a roll of masking tape, a tin or two of rattlecan spray paint and some patience. Tape the spokes up near the rim and be careful when you spray. Remember that good preparation is key to a good looking finish.

You'll need to strip the wheel for any of the following processes though: powder coat, anodize or new rims. 

New rims will be your most expensive option. Anodizing will probably be your cheapest option. Remember to sandblast of you powder coat. I had a bad experience with bubbling on MX rims that were anodized that I had powder coated without sandblasting. Had them sandblasted and re powder coated and the problem went away.

Just bear in mind that powder coating does chip as does paint, anodizing is only microns thick and prone to scratches and fading (Depending on who does it of course) 

Good luck and post pics if you do decide to do something

Archived