• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing is confirmed until RSC make a statement but we are hearing that there will be a 9km diversion onto the motorway. We're also hearing that the Turchino climb may be cut from the route as a result.

News of the landslide on the #MSR course confirmed via race radio. Peloton will have 9km diversion on motorway.

— Cannondale Pro Team (@Ride_Argyle) March 19, 2016

The Orica GreenEdge team have also Tweeted about this 9km diversion onto the motorway.

In the race, the break have 8'27 over the peloton after 67km of racing.

Journalist Felix Mattis is on the scene of the landslide and he's reported that:

Most important information from the landslide: Nobody injured. That's what the firemen on site just told me. #MSR

211km remaining from 291km

80km into the race and the peloton, still with a Katusha rider on the front, have brought the gap down to 7'43. We'v

Confirmed: The race will not be neutralized. They will have the 9km deviation, however. So after the Turchino, the riders will deviate onto the motorway at Voltri. They will then race 9km before heading back onto the coastal road at Arenzano. A similar situation occurred in 2003.

Here's the official statement from RCS:

Due to a landslide on the Milano-Sanremo original race course in between Genova Voltri and Arenzano, the Race Direction together with the Police Support Officer decided to divert the race onto the A10 highway, entering in Genova Voltri and exiting in Arenzano to rejoin the original course. This detour is now officially part of the race course.

91km remaining from 291km

Just the small matter of 200km of racing remaining in this year's Milan-San Remo. At the front of the peloton Peter Sagan's Tinkoff squad start to work and they take a minute off the break's advantage. They're at 7'43.

196km remaining from 291km

The 11 leaders had almost 11 minutes on the peloton at their peak but the gap continues to drop, and it's at 7'25 with 196km remaining. Tinkoff and Katusha continue to hold the fort at the front of the peloton, while several riders are heading back to the team cars to pick up extra food, bottles and instructions.

The Passo dello Turchino is on the horizon for the riders in this year's Milan-San Remo. The climb will not decide the race but it will sap the energy of everyone out there, adding to the culminated fatigue that comes with racing for 300 kilometres.

The peloton have eased off in their chase ever so slightly and it's allowed the 11-man break to extend their advantage to 8'37.

Tinkoff have sat up, and it allows the break to move their lead back up to nine minutes. This brings Katusha back into play, with Kristoff's men setting up shop on the front of the peloton.

Archived