Silverback Warranty

Cranker

Hi Everyone,

I have friend that owns a 2012 Silverback Storm 1. The frame has a crack where the seat post and the top tube meet. I was hoping that someone can maybe provide me with some information on how long the frame is guaranteed?

If it is by any chance still covered, does someone maybe have any contact details to who we can speak with?

Thanks

I was looking at purchasing a carbon Silverback road bike toward the end of last year, and was told the warranty was for 3 years and for the original owner only. I'm not sure if this applies to all Silverback bikes though. Good luck.

Hi Everyone,

I have friend that owns a 2012 Silverback Storm 1. The frame has a crack where the seat post and the top tube meet. I was hoping that someone can maybe provide me with some information on how long the frame is guaranteed?

If it is by any chance still covered, does someone maybe have any contact details to who we can speak with?

Thanks

Same place as this?

post-66463-0-78124400-1452456922.jpg

I ride a Storm and I can tell you that Silverback has excellent backup.  get it to yout bike shop, they will sort you out.  I'm sure of that

Same place as this?

post-66463-0-78124400-1452456922.jpg

Hi,

Yes that is exactly the same place and the same bike. The photo looks exactly like the one he showed me. Do you have more info?

Hi,

Yes that is exactly the same place and the same bike. The photo looks exactly like the one he showed me. Do you have more info?

I will PM you Silverback contact detail.

I spotted the crack in my frame the week before the Atta - which I rode like that because no time to fix it.... There was no change in crack size/length afterwards. My reasoning was:

a) I bought it second hand with about 300-400km on it, so I would be outside a warranty.

b) Since the seatpost runs trought that for a considerible length down inside the verticle tube it would be fine - which it was. It was definate not a case where the frame would have snap completely all of a sudden onder me.

To make the story more complex - Then I rode the 24h Oak Valley this weekend - on the first lap I made a backwards escape on a bridge when a lady froze on the top in front of me: Snap, there goes the KCNC Scandium seatpost just above the frame - absolutely no effect on the frame crack, i.e. probably seperate problem / failure.

Now I have a cracked frame with a proken seatpost stuck in it :)  (Tried last night with ice/kettle water and a cable looped trough holes in it, but still a bit tight.)

I intendeted to contact Silverback for advice (not necessarily about the warranty), maybe somebody have had this issue before and were able to fix the crack. (I read quite a bit on that last week - see what people like Bogus and James Perry here in Durbanville are able to fix... impressive)

I would be keen to hear your friend's weight and at what length his seatpost was. (I'm 96~97kg and had the seatpost at the 2cm scalebar on the back... probably on the upper limit of what it is designed for)

I should probably go back to a Thomson seatpost or something heavier/stronger, if the frame is fixable or replaced by me/Silverback. It might have been less flexible, and the flex in the seatpost above the carbon fibre causing the movement in the carbon where the crack appear. (just my theory)

Lastly, I still think it is an absolute great bike!

I will PM you Silverback contact detail.

I spotted the crack in my frame the week before the Atta - which I rode like that because no time to fix it.... There was no change in crack size/length afterwards. My reasoning was:

a) I bought it second hand with about 300-400km on it, so I would be outside a warranty.

b) Since the seatpost runs trought that for a considerible length down inside the verticle tube it would be fine - which it was. It was definate not a case where the frame would have snap completely all of a sudden onder me.

To make the story more complex - Then I rode the 24h Oak Valley this weekend - on the first lap I made a backwards escape on a bridge when a lady froze on the top in front of me: Snap, there goes the KCNC Scandium seatpost just above the frame - absolutely no effect on the frame crack, i.e. probably seperate problem / failure.

Now I have a cracked frame with a proken seatpost stuck in it :)  (Tried last night with ice/kettle water and a cable looped trough holes in it, but still a bit tight.)

I intendeted to contact Silverback for advice (not necessarily about the warranty), maybe somebody have had this issue before and were able to fix the crack. (I read quite a bit on that last week - see what people like Bogus and James Perry here in Durbanville are able to fix... impressive)

I would be keen to hear your friend's weight and at what length his seatpost was. (I'm 96~97kg and had the seatpost at the 2cm scalebar on the back... probably on the upper limit of what it is designed for)

I should probably go back to a Thomson seatpost or something heavier/stronger, if the frame is fixable or replaced by me/Silverback. It might have been less flexible, and the flex in the seatpost above the carbon fibre causing the movement in the carbon where the crack appear. (just my theory)

Lastly, I still think it is an absolute great bike!

Hi,

Thank you so much for all this info. This will really help us a lot.

Have a great day

Just an update, based on a discussion with Silverback:

Apparently they did replace frames of this exact model and colour with the exact 'crack' before under warranty. - Every frame that they received back & sanded down through the white, shown that it was just the paint that was cracked. This ‘crack’ did not appear on none-white models. (Apparently white paint need to be painted thicker/more layers to prevent the black from shining through and the thicker paint then crack.)

I might sand it down myself to confirm (or not) and use a strong, less flexible seat post. Now just to get the damn old one out…

I had same problem on a Silverback Syncra 2 frame (2013), it looked like a crack but after sanding down was stated it was only paint deep, re-sprayed frame but "crack" re-appeared after about 100 km riding, so ended up replacing the frame, mine was pearl white paint in that area, new replacement frame (2015) is raw carbon/ black in that area, replacement frame has about +1000 km on it so far with no problems, so could be an older version/ frame design problem that has been sorted since. The Syncra frame bike setup is an absolute gem on bike park XC type trials and is my go-to bike for a day of fun with the extra suspension travel, Silverback service to date was great with no hassles to get replacement frame, might want to take a chance on just leaving it be until it looks like its getting worse? 

I had same problem on a Silverback Syncra 2 frame (2013), it looked like a crack but after sanding down was stated it was only paint deep, re-sprayed frame but "crack" re-appeared after about 100 km riding, so ended up replacing the frame, mine was pearl white paint in that area, new replacement frame (2015) is raw carbon/ black in that area, replacement frame has about +1000 km on it so far with no problems, so could be an older version/ frame design problem that has been sorted since. The Syncra frame bike setup is an absolute gem on bike park XC type trials and is my go-to bike for a day of fun with the extra suspension travel, Silverback service to date was great with no hassles to get replacement frame, might want to take a chance on just leaving it be until it looks like its getting worse? 

Exactly - the company is very easy to access & talk with over the phone. Great staff!

I'm pretty happy to keep on using the frame as it is currently.

Archived