The problem with the Sandton cycling lane

mudda

One of the problems I have with the SA commuter culture is that we tend to think that its ok to do speeds of between 25 and 40km/h in an urban environment.

If we reduce our speeds to no faster than 15km/h we will all be a lot safer.

Here is a clip of the speeds done in Europe by commuters. Note also that they mostly cycle with very upright bikes. It helps with enlarging the peripheral vision and stopping and starting is much easier with a very relaxed setup like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTi0NqSHd8w

I like this! This is what we are trying to achieve in Cape Town. Ask anyone to close their eyes and imagine a cyclist. 9/10 times that image will be one of person in lycra with some sporty MTB or road bike. In Netherlands it is the exact opposite.

I would love to encourage people to cycle to work in civies instead of lycra, and use an old retro bike if possible. Their seats are so much more comfy, so you wont need your padded pants. We need to change the way people see cyclists. Not as racers, but as commuters.

Another thing I'd like to mention is perhaps we should rather donate our old bikes instead of selling them. Our country and poor communities could really benefit from the economic opportunities a bicycle gives them.

max speed of 20kph and no helmets. Everyone will be safer.

Although I am a big advocate of no helmets, I always wear mine. In SA we simply aren't there yet. Cars "rule" the road unfortunately. And until such time that bicycles start to regain their dominance, I will continue to wear my helmet.

Archived