Cycing the wild coast-beware motorbikes

deanbean

Was cycling the wild coast between the Kei and Kobonqaba rivers yesterday. I nearly got wiped out on the first hill by juvenile 4-wheeler, thereafter, I was buzzed by bikes and 4-wheelers at regular intervals. What a nightmare, the tracks were ripped up to make cycling almost impossible, river crossings were up to a meter deep, and the sound of bikes never stopped, so much for a quiet ride in the wild coast.

I'm worried about this, the locals won't take very much more of the hooliganism, and we're also white boys on two-wheel toys, but a lot slower.

Evolve or be bike jacked! LOL On a serious note, I hear what you're saying. Reminds me of my ride through the Cradle this week, just mayhem with superbikes going through at 200km/h, and boy do they come close...

I'm in KZN south coast at the moment, and I have also noticed that lack of control of youngsters on their ATV's with no parental supervision. This is also happening on the public roads in our area. Who should take responsibility to resolve this? Just a thought...

Guys,

I'm next to lake Albert in Uganda at a small village called Butiaba workin as a project manager in support of the oil exploration here. 

I brought my MTB along and have been cycling about when convenient and able (due to work requirements). 

The locals are friendly and crime as we know it is Souffff Efrica is totally non-existent here.  Money are left open on desks in offices and none is stolen.  And yes, the client also uses locals!

Great place for MTB.  But cycling around in lycra will look totally out of place and you'll most probably be the laughing stock of the district. 

Nevertheless, I am enjoying the absence of crime and hooliganism.

Regards

casspir

Was cycling the wild coast between the Kei and Kobonqaba rivers yesterday. I nearly got wiped out on the first hill by juvenile 4-wheeler' date=' thereafter, I was buzzed by bikes and 4-wheelers at regular intervals. What a nightmare, the tracks were ripped up to make cycling almost impossible, river crossings were up to a meter deep, and the sound of bikes never stopped, so much for a quiet ride in the wild coast.

I'm worried about this, the locals won't take very much more of the hooliganism, and we're also white boys on two-wheel toys, but a lot slower.

[/quote']

Those t**sers are the guys who got genuine 4x4 enthusiasts banned from beaches.

It's an industry heading for regulation. A friend of mine from Nissan SA is on a government committee looking at trying to stop mullet adorned morons* from giving their 12 year old offspring 450cc quads to kill themselves (and others) on...

*Apologies to the Bull Bulls supporters.

Ban quad bikes !!

They do no good for no one !

Was in the middle of the Tankwa Karoo about 160 km away from Sutherland and 4 quads came past with back up vehicles. Not wearing helmets and just making dust and noise, with no respect for the road.

Ban the lot of them.