Help understand TT vs Tri bike for ironman

RyanD

Hi there.

Working towards ironman 2018. Currently ride a MTB. Farmer so road bike is out.

I am researching bikes for ironman and I cannot get a clear explanation as to TT vs Tri bikes. I get the geometry is different, I get that the aero advantage is lost If one has to sit up occasionally, I understand the targeting of different muscle groups to aid the legs in the run.

From what I understand the TT bike expects you to be 5 seconds away from a heart atack and needing oxygen if you have ridden it properly, when you have finished a TT.

The Tri bike expects you to get off and run a marathon.

What I don't understand is the number of TT bikes I see advertised as Tri bikes. A few manufacturers list the bikes as TT/Tri. What I am asking is, is the distinction important?

Thanks

Ryan.

Hi there.

Working towards ironman 2018. Currently ride a MTB. Farmer so road bike is out.

I am researching bikes for ironman and I cannot get a clear explanation as to TT vs Tri bikes. I get the geometry is different, I get that the aero advantage is lost If one has to sit up occasionally, I understand the targeting of different muscle groups to aid the legs in the run.

From what I understand the TT bike expects you to be 5 seconds away from a heart atack and needing oxygen if you have ridden it properly, when you have finished a TT.

The Tri bike expects you to get off and run a marathon.

What I don't understand is the number of TT bikes I see advertised as Tri bikes. A few manufacturers list the bikes as TT/Tri. What I am asking is, is the distinction important?

Thanks

Ryan.

UCI restrictions on setup/geometry (saddle position etc.)

a TT bike can be a Tri bike (ITU Rules)

but a tri bike can't be a TT bike (UCI Rules)

One description that I have read somewhere is that a Tri Bike is essentially a TT bike that a Triathlete has gotten hold of and added a whole bunch of stuff on.

Like Fanie said, Tri rules are more laxed, so you can take a TT bike and adjust everything to be more aggressive aerodynamically and still be within the ITU rules. But if you then pitch at the Provincial TT champs with the same bike setup the rules will be much stricter so you might not be allowed to race with the same setup. 

Thanks guys. Individual road TT appeals to me so that might be the smarter choice. Not as clear cut as I imagined.

Archived