Big five game reserve venue for inaugural Evox Tour de Femme

News bot

The inaugural Evox Tour de Femme, a ladies-only multi-day mountain bike experience, will take place from 5–8 August 2016 at the Gondwana Game Reserve in the Garden Route region of South Africa’s Western Cape province.

Click here to view the article

For some reason I find the concept of this event sexist and patronising. But then I am definitely not the intended target market, and I am sure there are many who will enjoy it.

I don't fully understand the concept of this event. You are trying to capture female mtb riders. Its not a race, and not timed. It boasts amazing venue and perks etc. So you are looking for female riders who are beginners and/or casual riders, or just ladies who want a weekend away and may have to ride a bike? I believe that is about 10% of the already small female mtb'ers currently riding. So why not just call it a riding holiday? It seems like you are promoting the venue, perks, spa etc a lot more than the riding so you should probably look at calling it a weekend away with some optional bike riding and try market to a different audience.

And when you find that your event is not popular (or maybe it will be something the wives will want)  you will see that just because the ladies ride bikes, doesn't mean they are not competitive or don't want to race amongst themselves as well as have a comfortable time doing  it... hopefully an event company will see this and give the MTB ladies something real to consider spending a few thousand rand on...

Edited by Bikejunkie

What year is this? 1932?

We have events that all can enter, men and women. Now they bring out events that are for women only. And everyone is supposed to be jovial about it. And sponsors line up to sign up.

Imagine now a race organiser pens a "Mens Only" event. Calls of sexism all around, how dare you sideline the women, you evil gynophobe!

Also begs the question, why is there a Black Miss USA pageant where only black women may enter, and then a Miss USA pageant where all races are allowed to enter. Having a White Miss USA pageant would be racist and prejudiced of course.

Spare me.