Trail building 101?

Henco LTX

Hi All

We are a small Mtb club that has right of way in a old quarry in our area. We managed to build a trail using most of the cattle routes and hand crafted the rest that is 12km long. We have drops, tight corners, steep short climbs and some sort gnarly descents.

Our plan is to step it up a notch by introducing some berms and jumps, seeing the potential in the trail.

Can someone please give us some feedback on how to build berms and jumps etc. the correct way?

We have a TLB also on hand to do the hard work.

Your help will be much appreciated

This article is really good - covers all sorts of often overlooked items such cambers. Take your bike with and keep riding as you build, it's probably the best way to ensure your trail has good flow. Bigger obstacles can always be tweaked as you go along but correcting the flow is not so easy.

Look up on the IMBA website. You can buy their books on building trails to the international mountain biking standards.

https://www.imba.com/resources/trail-building

Good trails should take natural drainage into account as this will allow for better erosion control and trail longevity.

Hi

I had a look at that link you send, ill speak the club and ask if we can buy it, bit expensive!

But thanks

Where is this Taking Place i Live out in Hennops just on the Border of North West and would love to check it out

Hi

We are in Lichtenburg, you are more than welcome if you want to come and ride our trails, give me a call on 0761236613 

Would like to get some feedback from other riders also.

Hi

I had a look at that link you send, ill speak the club and ask if we can buy it, bit expensive!

But thanks

I used those books when doing some smaller and mior designs for a provincial authority not too long ago.

Worth it.

Also Google and youtube for help. There is a lot out there