[Event] TrailAdventure Canoe Triathlon

River Rat

Event Name: TrailAdventure Canoe Triathlon
When: 6 November 2016
Where: Rietvlei Nature Reserve, Gauteng
Category: Multisport

A team is comprised of two people.

The team cost is R200 i.e. R100 each

Both members of the team will paddle together, both members will cycle the route on a mountain bike and both members will do the run together.

You only qualify as a finisher if both members of the team finish everything.

You can do the race with anyone you want but if you are a registered canoeist you will not be allowed to do it with another registered canoeist ( this is to promote canoeing)

You don't have to be a member of any club or Organization and don't have to have a dam proficiency for the race, but you must be able to swim and life jackets and helmets are compulsary

You need any type of canoe that takes two people but it does not have to be a fiberglass racing canoe. It can be a plastic canoe or any other sit on top stable boat. (no motorized boats unless you are over the age of 110)

The canoe laps will be short. 4 x2 kilometers and there will be safety boats.

There is no cut offs for any of the legs and everyone gets the same medal as the winner.

There will be prize money sponsored by KeyHealth for the racing snakes in the following team categories only. Male, Female, Mixed, Juniors under 18 girls and boys, Parent and Child, Masters - Male and Female and Mixed over 50 ( not much money for over 50's, these are the people that did Iron man in a canoe, not many left)

The mountain bike route is not very technical and can be completed by almost anyone. The same with the trail run.

Yes you are allowed to walk up the hills

No you not allowed dogs

There will be food and drinks available. There are change rooms and showers

Only pre entries and only 100 teams no exception and no favour so please enter early on www.entrytime.com. I see already the response has been very good.

Members of canoe clubs including Centurion Canoe club must enter online and no on the day or late entries will be accepted.

You can enter as a single entry for R 150 but it will be frowned upon, so please find a mate

We will have our first "test the team" on the dam on Saturday 3 rd September at Rietvlei Dam where canoes will be available to test and use from our club and members. We will also have a basic coaching forum of "what not to do" starting at 8 am. The fee to enter on that day is R10 at the gate of the reserve.

Any further questions

gouldie@icon.co.za

Go to Event Page

If you've ever wanted to give canoeing a go here's your chance. The idea is team a novice up with an experienced canoeist so if you're keen drop me a PM and I'll sort you out with a partner.

Sucks that this in Gauteng.  My K1 is gathering leaves and spiders.

Will this be on a dam? If so, surely then a surfski will also work. You need to do this in the Cape also. Misverstand will be an awesome venue for this.

Sucks that this in Gauteng.  My K1 is gathering leaves and spiders.

Will this be on a dam? If so, surely then a surfski will also work. You need to do this in the Cape also. Misverstand will be an awesome venue for this.

It will be interesting to see if other Canoe Unions catch on to this as a way to promote the sport. But the format requires you to team up with a novice (someone who has never been registered with The South African Canoe Union).

It will be interesting to see if other Canoe Unions catch on to this as a way to promote the sport. But the format requires you to team up with a novice (someone who has never been registered with The South African Canoe Union).

Haha! That will make paddling a K1 interesting to a novice, so it is probably good that a plastic canoe will also be accepted.

• 2 weeks later...

Another opportunity to try out the canoeing leg and meet your potential partner will be held this Saturday at 7:30 am. Will cost R10 to enter the reserve and boats, paddles and Life jackets will be provided by Centurion Canoe Club.

Last Saturday's session was a great success with all the participants managing to paddle when teamed up with an experienced paddler. We even had two lady novices managing to paddle in a K1 and eventually teaming up in a K2 without a swim.