Rapide Overdrive Stems

AlanD

Might be worthwhile making them backwards compatible by including a removable 1/16" wt shim. making it both OD 2 and regular steerer compatible. I've seen that in stems that take both 30.9mm and 35mm bars.

Else cant you just find a stem with a little machine stock available and bore it out from 1.1/8 to 1.1/4? instead of making 100 from scratch?

There is a shim that was designed also to make the OD2 stem compatible with standard tapered forks. This means that all benefit, the OD2 bikes and the non od2 bikes☺

It's a win win people ☺

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

St the risk of sounding doff. What is the big deal with these stems and what does overdrive mean in terms of stems?

Giants R&D team said that they can increase the stiffness of the standard tapered steerer by 30% by making it 1.25" instead of the standard 1.125". Stiffer it was, but now if you want to play around with stems to find 'your sweet spot' you have to buy OD2 stems. The were hoping it would become the new standard, but it didn't, and have now reverted back to 1.125" on new models.

Ok People, since there was hardly any interest in the OD2 stems and getting 100 people was not going to happen, there is another really cool option:

An OD2 stem with a shim for standard steerer and a shim to run 35mm bars as an added option. Extremely customizable option that any steerer can use as well as any handlebar.

Slightly more expensive option but with all the adapters and stem included you get a lot for R1399 as well as exceptional service from Rapide :-). 

In order to get this into production we are need only 10 interested buyers that anyone can buy due to the shims available. The other lekker thing is that it comes in more lengths, 40-70 mm options - Awesome. We can also look at swopping out stems with hubbers if you find the one purchased is too short or too long.  

Here are all the specs and some pics:

The stem is the Fouriers SM-MB002 it comes with shims so that it can fit normal and OD2 steerers and standard 31.8mm clamp size bars and also 35mm clamp size bars:

"Lightweight full CNC manufactured stem. Cut from one aluminum 6061 block for maximum strength, stiffness, and anti-corrosion. Unique flat design and great aesthetics. Ø35mm Handlebar Clamp System with 0 degree rise. 1 1/4” steerer tube clamp, with 1 1/8” shim. For All Mountain Use."

Product Features:
.With SHIM (AC-A001) - fork tube Ø31.8 change to Ø28.6
.With SHIM (AC-A002) - handlebar clamp Ø35 change to Ø31.8
.With Top Cap
.AL6066-T6 full CNC made
.Bar-bore: Ø35
.Fork tube: Ø31.8
.Fork stack height: 40mm
.Length: 40-70mm
.Angle: 0°
.Weight: 40mm/140g
                 50mm/155g
                 60mm/165g
                 70mm/175g
.Color: Anodized black

msg-1841-0-09925500-1476344138.jpg

msg-1841-0-39880500-1476344462.jpg

msg-1841-0-53299300-1476344481.jpg

msg-1841-0-20997000-1476344499.jpg
Edited by AlanD

Sorry for the highjack, I am a little confused. I have a 2013 giant anthem and according to the giant website i have an overdrive2 system but i have fitted a normal stem on my bike? Am i missing something? It used to be an XTC and i just bought the frame and rebuild everything over without issues.

Sorry for the highjack, I am a little confused. I have a 2013 giant anthem and according to the giant website i have an overdrive2 system but i have fitted a normal stem on my bike? Am i missing something? It used to be an XTC and i just bought the frame and rebuild everything over without issues.

That is because the fork you used was a standard taper and standard taper headset bearings. The head tube itself is standard taper but the fork steerer is OD2 and the upper headset bearing is different to accommodate the OD2 steerer fork

Ok People, since there was hardly any interest in the OD2 stems and getting 100 people was not going to happen, there is another really cool option:

An OD2 stem with a shim for standard steerer and a shim to run 35mm bars as an added option. Extremely customizable option that any steerer can use as well as any handlebar.

Slightly more expensive option but with all the adapters and stem included you get a lot for R1399 as well as exceptional service from Rapide :-). 

In order to get this into production we are need only 10 interested buyers that anyone can buy due to the shims available. The other lekker thing is that it comes in more lengths, 40-70 mm options - Awesome. We can also look at swopping out stems with hubbers if you find the one purchased is too short or too long.  

Here are all the specs and some pics:

The stem is the Fouriers SM-MB002 it comes with shims so that it can fit normal and OD2 steerers and standard 31.8mm clamp size bars and also 35mm clamp size bars:

"Lightweight full CNC manufactured stem. Cut from one aluminum 6061 block for maximum strength, stiffness, and anti-corrosion. Unique flat design and great aesthetics. Ø35mm Handlebar Clamp System with 0 degree rise. 1 1/4” steerer tube clamp, with 1 1/8” shim. For All Mountain Use."

Product Features:
.With SHIM (AC-A001) - fork tube Ø31.8 change to Ø28.6
.With SHIM (AC-A002) - handlebar clamp Ø35 change to Ø31.8
.With Top Cap
.AL6066-T6 full CNC made
.Bar-bore: Ø35
.Fork tube: Ø31.8
.Fork stack height: 40mm
.Length: 40-70mm
.Angle: 0°
.Weight: 40mm/140g
                 50mm/155g
                 60mm/165g
                 70mm/175g
.Color: Anodized black

msg-1841-0-09925500-1476344138.jpg

msg-1841-0-39880500-1476344462.jpg

msg-1841-0-53299300-1476344481.jpg

msg-1841-0-20997000-1476344499.jpg

YES. Gimme one, 50mm please. PM me if you need any more info/commitment etc.

That is because the fork you used was a standard taper and standard taper headset bearings. The head tube itself is standard taper but the fork steerer is OD2 and the upper headset bearing is different to accommodate the OD2 steerer fork

Ok so even though i thought i had OD2 i actually dont...which means i can fit any tapered fork into my bike without worries....sweet, thanks.

Ok so even though i thought i had OD2 i actually dont...which means i can fit any tapered fork into my bike without worries....sweet, thanks.

Correct. I on the other hand can't as the steer and bearing is OD2. The only option is to replace the Fox 34 kasima coat Talas fork for a standard one or try get these stems into production which is cheaper for sure.

YES. Gimme one, 50mm please. PM me if you need any more info/commitment etc.

Sweet. That's you and me. Eight more to go.

Come on hub land....gooi

So far 2/10 interested :unsure: ..just few more Hubbers to help would be great. Remember these stems can be used for both OD2 and standard as well as 35mm bars and 31.8mm bars  :whistling:

They come in a variety of lengths to also fit standard tapered forks, 40-70mm :whistling:

Edited by AlanD

This was why I never did any more than my sample run of Everday OD2 stems in 2014 (when OD2 was still a current standard). There just isn't enough interest.

This was why I never did any more than my sample run of Everday OD2 stems in 2014 (when OD2 was still a current standard). There just isn't enough interest.

So you made some od2 stems?