Total Chain Capacity

Dirtbreath

The following is a table off Shimano's website explaning Total Chain Capacity.

The red areas for the short cage are where you shouldn't be crossing your chain anyway. Would you have problems in your small chainring running the large sprockets? Are they advising you to go for a long cage derailleur?

20080520_031611_what_means_the_.gif

The bottom pic is a bit deceiving when you read the calculation basis. The basis holds true for the chain on the biggest ring and sprocket + 2 links only if the chain is not run through the pulley wheels!

WTF? Stoppit. Go ride your damn bikes... This is all nonsense.
...are you reporting this Bob!!

Bob, I try but I am having problems in my small chainring and cant figure it out.

My question is should you avoid a short cage rear derailleur if you are riding a normal mountain bike (32/34 on the back) or does it not matter because you should not have your chain where you have problems.

I know you wake up in the middle of the night sweating and screaming "CHAIN SUCK".LOL 

WTF? Stoppit. Go ride your damn bikes... This is all nonsense.
...are you reporting this Bob!!

have to see if our new moderator is awake yet ...or if his pm box is full

Bob' date=' I try but I am having problems in my small chainring and cant figure it out.

My question is should you avoid a short cage rear derailleur if you are riding a normal mountain bike (32/34 on the back) or does it not matter because you should not have your chain where you have problems.

I know you wake up in the middle of the night sweating and screaming "CHAIN SUCK".LOL 
[/quote']

But the answer is in your questionWink

That explains why you dont understand chain suck. You dont know what you're missing.

Ha, I keep tongue in cheek when riding... prevents chain suckWink

My tongue wont stay in cheak. Hangs out gasping for air!Dead Even more so when granny gear doesnt work.

That little wheel on our mountain bikes is there for a reason. Heaven forbid it doesnt work!?!?!