Tour de Romandie

SwissVan

175km remaining from 187km

After 12 kilometres, a group of seven riders have opened up a promising advantage on the peloton.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The seven men in the break are:

Davide Martinelli (Quick-Step)

Lukas Postlberger (Bora-Hansgrohe)

Toms Skujins (Cannondale-Drapac)

Victor Campenaerts (LottoNL-Jumbo)

Thoma De Gendt (Lotto Soudal)

Hugo Houle (AG@R-La Mondiale)

Nikita Stalnov (Astana)

Prologue winner Fabio Felline is still the race leader and it's his Trek-Segafredo teammates who are leading the peloton. Of the breakaway riders, Houle is the best-placed GC-wise at 3:35.

Despite the four climbs, today's stage should culminate in a bunch sprint, especially if the peloton continues to keep the escapees on a short leash.

137km remaining from 187km

The gap goes up to three minutes as the break hit the 50km mark.

111km remaining from 187km

The gap comes down again to 2:26 after 76km. We're just a few kilometres away from the first climb of the day.

Trek and Bahrain are the two teams doing the bulk of the work on the front of the peloton. Trek taking responsibility for the leader's jersey on the shoulders of Felline, Bahrain clearly confident in Colbrelli today.

None of the seven riders had any KOM points coming into today's stage and, with a maximum of 20 available today, they won't be any threat to Sander Armée, who sits atop the standings on 39 points.

All of the riders were suffering in the cold yesterday, and De Gendt, who is currently keeping warm up front in the breakaway, tweeted the below message to the UCI, suggesting they should get some fresh air whilst following the riders.

RT @DeGendtThomas: Dear @UCI_cycling next time we have these weather conditions i kindly invite you to follow the race in a cabrio.

75km remaining from 187km

The peloton clearly isn't making the same mistake they did yesterday, and are keeping the breakaway's gap at 1:52.

The weather has been causing havoc for the television producers this week as bad conditions have grounded the helicopters. Currently French TV is showing a man painting a picture of a pig on a bike.

The leaders will soon make their way up the pair of category 3 climbs that punctuate the parcours - the Grandsivas and the Lovens, which crests at km 130. There is another nice little launchpad with 30km to go, the steep but short Estevayer-le-Lac.

Archived