Tour de Romandie

SwissVan

The leaders have crested the top of the uncategorised climb through Zumholz. Their advantage continues to rise and now stands at 3:40.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

50km into the day and the gap between the peloton and the leaders has leveled out as Team Sky move to the front. 3:27 is the latest time check for the escapees.

The gap is still edging out for the eight escapees. They've got close to four minutes now.

????????????????????????

Dimension Data, of course, has Roucef Reguigui in the breakaway today. Reguigui is more of a sprinter/classics style rider - he finished sixth yesterday - and he's going to struggle when this starts to get really mountainous. He may be able to provide some help to his teammates if any of them chose to attack from behind.

❄️❄️❄️

While there is sunshine above, it's not that warm out on the route with temperatures in the single figures. No surprise that there are plenty of arm and leg warmers about.

The Jaunpass is the first classified ascent of the day and peaks out at 94.7km, so the leaders still have a little under 40km until they make it to the top of that climb. A reminder of what the mountains classification looks like right now.

1 Sander Armee (Bel) Lotto Soudal 39 pts

2 Simon Yates (GBr) Orica-Scott 24

3 Diego Ulissi (Ita) UAE Team Emirates 16

4 Thomas De Gendt (Bel) Lotto Soudal 15

5 Mekseb Debesay (Eri) Dimension Data 13

6 David Gaudu (Fra) FDJ 12

7 Frederik Veuchelen (Bel) Wanty - Groupe Gobert 10

8 Marco Minnaard (Ned) Wanty - Groupe Gobert 9

9 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Team Sunweb 8

10 Stefan Küng (Swi) BMC Racing Team 8

The leaders are fast approaching the Jaunpass. It's a 16.8km ascent that averages 3.7 per cent and peaks at 9.1 per cent.

Team Sky are still doing some work on the front of the bunch. Their leader Chris Froome lost some vital time in the opening stage and he will have to take the GC by the scruff today if he wants to set himself up for the overall victory. Team Sky is expected to race aggressively and could use riders such as Vasil Kiryienka on the Jaunpass to break the race apart.

Team Sky are still doing some work on the front of the bunch. Their leader Chris Froome lost some vital time in the opening stage and he will have to take the GC by the scruff today if he wants to set himself up for the overall victory. Team Sky is expected to race aggressively and could use riders such as Vasil Kiryienka on the Jaunpass to break the race apart.

So.. a blue train on front for the day[emoji53]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Report from Daniel Benson at the finish, who says that there are blue skies at the finish. There's a small breeze and it's a whopping 14 degrees up there too. Almost tropical.

After 85km of racing, the gap now stands at 4:15 for the eight escapees. Van der Sande the virtual race leader by well over three minutes at this point. It's unlikely they will stay away but you just never know.

As expected, Reguigui is the first rider to get dropped from the breakaway group as they tackle the Jaunpass. It was always going to be a bit of a challenge for the sprinter to keep up on the steep ramps.

Armee is first over the Jaunpass, unsurprisingly, and takes 12 points to add to his tally. Simon Clarke is next over with Cherel in third.

With 60km to go, the gap has fallen to 2:20 as Guillaume Martin attacks from the peloton.

????????????

There is no rest for the wicked and the second category Saanenmöser is next on the menu for the riders.

Archived